Chapter Twenty Seven ♥ "Giving in"

                             “Giving in”

                       و يُحدِث أن يْبكي فيك كل شيء, الّا عينيك 

 Mahra

Thursday                                      

Roads, these endlessly ancient and mysterious roads are exceedingly tiring and awfully depressing, because they have seen it all, they know it all. We are all just passersby, struggling to find our destination, lost and tired of wandering into the streets of insanity, without getting anywhere. The only way to get rid of these paths, is to get through them.

A road just like this led him to me. Oh, how I wish to destroy that road. If only he knew that his path would end me painfully, and his choices would destroy and shatter me, I think he wouldn’t have done what he did. Or May be he would. May be he did know and planned to end me on purpose!

Here we were, driving through the long and straight roads, on our way back to Dubai. I rested my head on the window and stared at the world outside. Everything that we passed by, seemed familiar, the trees, the birds, the air that lingered around us. Nowadays I felt so close to nature, I guess she knew about my misfortunes, and she understood. Even the sun in the sky beamed down on me, laughing and roaring that my misfortunes have been great indeed.

Lost deep in my thoughts, at some point I felt the car coming to a halt. I fidgeted a little in my seat, which was right next to Zayed. As much as I wanted to stay away from him, but unfortunately, the bellman at the hotel put me in a an uneasy situation, where I couldn't avoid sitting with him. I had to do it, even against my will, like most other things these days.

As I looked from left to right, I realized I recognized this place and this parking lot. He had brought me to the Sheikh Zayed Grand mosque, in the capital. Turning to glance at him, questioningly, I found him collecting his keys and shoving them in his pocket.

"Let's pray Al 'Asr and then we'll leave." He suggested, his face firm. I wished I could refuse, but he knew very well what he was doing. He spoke rarely and whenever he did, he'd ask for things that were undeniable, inarguable, leaving me no choice but to say yes.

I nodded slightly as an answer, and without further ado, I heard him step out of the car. Whereas I, I re-adjusted my shailah on my head, and grabbing my handbag, I got out as well. He was preceding me, but seconds later, I saw him pause and turn back to take a glance at me.

He didn't say anything, but seemed like he was expecting mo to keep up with his pace and so I did. We walked, slowly, to the separate praying halls; him being the leader and I the follower.

♥♥

Once done praying, I stepped out into the open and extensive inner yards of the beautiful mosque. The fresh air hit me and I took in a deep breath, my lungs craving for it. The gentle breeze blew my shailah but I held it closely with my hand and paced through the archways until I reached the reflective pools that surrounded the mosque. I sat down on the marble borders of the pool, designed as seats, and took in the great view, adoring the architecture.

Thinking back to what had happened the last couple of days, I closed my eyes shut. No, I wasn't fighting tears, I tried to fight the terrible headache I have had since yesterday. After telling me the excruciating truth, my sympathetic husband left me alone that day, to cry or mourn or do whatever it was that I wanted to do.