Moments

*************
Arjun's POV
*************

The last drop of patience seeped out of my system. It has been three days and I couldn't catch a glimpse of her. It was my year with Draupadi. She has completely abandoned me to rot. Little does she know that I could be an arrogant and demanding husband. There was no way she could know much about me anyway. She seems like a distant memory that once existed owing to the time we have been separated.

I took self assured strides towards her chamber. Darkness painted itself across the otherwise tranquil balcony. The potted creepers that decorated themselves on the intricately embellished doors of her chamber looked withered. I remember meticulously planning a chamber for her while we initially designed a working plan for the construction of Indraprastha.

It took all my strength to open the door. My eyes were clouded with black soot. I let my fingers turn a knob to light a lantern on my left side. The light of the lantern flickered unevenly in an angle throwing it's shade on a huge mirror with cracks. My heart shrugged at the sight my orbs perceived.

On our first wedding night, I gifted Prisha a huge mirror of her height which was embellished with uniform blocks of silver and uneven streaks of bronze on the corners to signify the union of fire and water.

They very same mirror lay before me with cracks spreading themselves like the web of an insect. It deterred me from looking at the complete face of Paanchali who was looking on the floor with her back facing me.

My legs trembled on the sight of two broken entities. She sat on the floor with her long tresses left undone and shabby spread across the floor like feathers of a peacock, covering her bare back. An orange cotton robe clasped her perfect body. She was devoid of any metal or precious stones.

I gathered courage and walked towards her looking at her tattered reflection in the mirror while she kept staring on the floor without blinking. I sat on the floor and turned her face to look at her eyes. The sight of her empty forehead made my eyes moist.

She shifted her head away from my hands as if she was repelled by my touch. My heart bled by that gesture.

"Arya! May I know the purpose of your visit" she spoke in a low voice. The fact that I still kept my self together after being broken by her formal words was a miracle. 

"Prisha" I exclaimed and she shut her eyes annoyed. I placed a hand on her shoulder and she moved away again. She took a sharp breath and spoke "I am following the vows of celibacy. Please restrain from laying your hands on me".

Realisation dawned upon me that she followed the rituals all the years we were supposed to be together during my absence and this was my year with her. She waited all this while to break them together with me.

A clutched my fist and my nails dug themselves deep into my skin. I walked towards the corridor and removed every orange robe that covered the silks and velvets of the room. I took the plate of royal food that was left unattended and sped towards her.

I offered her a spoon of sweet morsels of rice. She tilted her face away in rejection. This time I took a barfi and fed her lifting her chin forcefully. She was left perplexed. Her vows were broken after she tasted the luxurious royal food. She shot daggers with her eyes and walked past me.

I held her wrist making her immobile and said "I haven't completed yet". She tried to revolt but I placed a hand on her shoulder and  commanded "I am your husband and you can't deny me my rights". I could see her eyes showing a glint of vulnerability for a moment but was masked by a tough look again. She stood silent as if she was being a dutiful wife.

Looking straight into her big eyes I brought all the loose hair that spread across her body together. I leaned closer to tie it with a knot exposing her bare back to the moon. She shivered due to sudden breeze.