Chapter 8: Death's Other Side

Sophie came running out of the tunnel from the inner Warren, screaming along with them until they all quiet down. Blinking, the guardians noticed that she was holding some of the unpainted Easter eggs.

"Sophie?" Jack and Thanatos asked at the same time as they recognized the blond little girl who was Jamie's sister.

The girl looked at them, tilting her head to the side. They all laughed nervously and quickly put away their combat gear while giving innocent forced smiles. Sophie cooed.

"What is she doing here?" Bunny asked.

North patted himself down. "Uhh... snow globe," he said, earning a facepalm by Thanatos and some murmurs from the Yetis.

"Crikey, somebody does something!"

"Well, don't look at me, I'm invisible, remember?"

"Same here" Thanatos commented right after Jack, folding her hands in front of her chest and kept her red eyes on the child.

"Elf, elf" Sophie said as she spotted one of the elves and walked towards it.

"Don't worry, Bunny. I bet she's a ~Fairy Fan~!" Tooth said and flew in front of the kid, making her gasp in excitement. "It's okay, little one"

"Pretty!"

"Ohh! You know what? I've got something ~for you~! Here it is! *shows her a freshly fallen tooth* Look at all the ~pretty teeth~! ~With little blood and gum on them~!"

Thanatos lifted an eyebrow at the weird way Tooth had chosen to approach the child. As it was expected, Sophie screamed and ran away sobbing.

"Blood and gums?" Jack asked. "When was the last time you guys actually hung out with kids?"

"We are very busy bringing joy to children! We don't have time... *Sophie runs around chasing the eggs who hid beneath one of the stone statues* for children" North explained, earning an apprehensive look from Bunny & Tooth.

"Hm. If one little kid can ruin Easter, then... we're in worse shape than I thought" Jack said and made one snowflake that floated on the wind.

Sophie focused on the snowflake and started to chase it. It ended up on Bunny's nose which twitched and then smiled with Jack's power.

----------------------------------- -----------------------------

Deep into the Warren, Bunny showed Sophie how brand-new white egg with feet emerged from a plant, walking and jumping around.

"You wanna paint some eggs? Yeah?" he asked her.

Sophie started to jump around excitedly. "Okay!"

"Come on then," he said and offered to take her to piggyback ride.

At the same time, an army of little white eggs with feet started marching down a hill while the 3 Guardians watched from a safe distance.

"Rimsky-Korsakov! That's a lot of eggs!" North commented asJack was perching on top of his staff. .

On cue, Sophie came while she was riding on Bunny's back as they darted around the eggs.

"Whee!" the little girl exclaimed, and Bunny let out his own sounds of happiness.

Thanatos watched them, a ghost smile on her face as she approached Jack. "That was very smart"

"Huh?" Jack exclaimed and turned his attention to her. His chest felt pride to be praised and he grinned before jumping down and trying to look cool. "Well, of course. I thought of it"