Chapter 9: The Trap

Jack had just dropped Sophie to her house and was about to leave when he heard a familiar voice, accompanied by laughter.

"~Jack~!"

"Tha- that voice, I know that voice"

Baby Tooth who had joined him, chittered nervously at Jack as he listened some more.

"~Jack~!" He flew off to a rounded air vent on a roof, then gasped as head her again. "~Jack~!" He dashed off through the air towards his lake. He landed on the ground as Baby Tooth kept squeaking. "Jack?"

He spied an old rotted bedpost with no mattress and started walking towards it, but Baby Tooth tried to hold him back. "Don't worry, ssh, there's still time" he told her, and she rolled her eyes.

Jack walked towards the bed, then knocked some pieces away with his staff to see into the hole below the bed.

"Jack?" the voice came from the hole.

He took a deep breath and then he leapt into the darkness. Once landed, Baby Tooth started to tug on his hoodie.

"Baby Tooth, Baby Tooth, come on! I have to find out what that is!" he said and flew into the open-air chasm, noticing all the cages. He flew to them and the other tooth fairies started chittering back. "Ssh, keep it down! 'M gonna get you out of here just as soon as—"

"Jack?" He looked down and noticed the piles of tooth boxes. "~Jack~!"

"--As I can" he continued and dropped down from the bird cages, despite Baby Tooth's flustered cries. He started digging through the piles of boxes, looking at the children's faces on the ends. Then his head jerked up.

"Looking for something?" Pitch asked as he stood too close to him.

Jack fired an ice blast at where Pitch was, then chased him through dark corridors.

Pitch laughed. "Don't be afraid, Jack?" he said as some light shone on the bridge he was standing, allowing the spirit to see him. "I'm not gonna' hurt you"

Jack slides onto an end of the bridge. "Afraid? I'm not afraid of you" he said.

"Maybe not. But you are afraid of something"

"You think so, huh?"

"I know so! It's the one thing I always know: people's greatest fears. Yours is that no one will ever believe in you. *His shadow overtakes Jack, who falls through the bridge and into another dark corridor* Hehehe..." Jack shouted as he landed hard on the cobblestone floor. He started scrambling to get out. "And worst of all, you're afraid you'll never know why - why you? *Jack bounds off into the dark, only to find another wall, so he turns to face him – frightened* Why were you chosen? To be like this. Well, fear not, for the answer to that... is right here. *he holds out Jack's tooth-box* Do you want them, Jack? Your memories?"

"Yes" Jack whispered and reached for the box, but Pitch pulled his hand back, and laughed as he vanished again, leaving Jack to dart off through the bird cages.

Pitch formed his body shape out of Jack's shadow. "Everything you wanted to know - in this little box. *He laughs some more as Jack chases him* Why did you end up like this? Unseen, unable to reach out to anyone - you want the answers so badly. You want to grab them and fly off with them, but you're afraid of what the Guardians will think. You're afraid of disappointing them. You are afraid of failing Thanatos...*Jack clutched his head* That's it...You want to help her, make her smile? *Pitch laughed* Oh how adorable, you seek to befriend her. Death herself " Pitch laughed more.