After-Work Dinners (part I)

I just got my two weeks' worth of salary, wondering what my next whim purchase would be. Should I spend it on a dinner out, like I won't eat at Jollijeep for dinner today? Should I spend it on my pet dogs? I don't know, but having PHP8,000 in half a month feels great! Time to withdraw PHP2,000 and see what comes to mind today, May 7th.

Afterwards, I got a text from an unknown eleven-digit number. If I receive texts from someone I do not know, I could receive texts about investments, loans, and other things that I'd dare not reply to. Otherwise, if they do introduce themselves then I would get texts about paperwork being done already. Someone invited me to a dinner in Greenbelt 4, but I am not sure who that person was. Well, time for an unplanned adventure that will get me out of my rut.

So, I organized the things in my cubicle, said my goodbyes to my colleagues and to those who check my work, then off I go to Greenbelt 4. It was an arduous, 15-minute walk, considering pedestrian traffic there.

I called whoever invited me to that dinner to know where that person was. I heard a strange but alluring voice on the other end of the line. This person, I guess, must be strikingly familiar to me. However, out of courtesy I'd dare pretend not to know who she was. She was wearing a purple Ralph Lauren polo shirt, black slacks and one-inch heels. In effect, she dressed down so that she does not intimidate me.

"Good evening. I'm Godwyn. You're...?"

"I'm Nina Williams, but you may call me Nina," and then we shook hands.

I started to act suspicious, me slightly frowning and I paused for about ten seconds. I wonder, "What is she up to? Why me?"

She read my stance, furrowing her brows slightly. It's as if she was saying "What's going on with this young man?" I looked decent but awkward as I was staring into the mall shops. "You don't seem to get out that much, don't you?"

"Nope. Maybe not this time. It's the first half of May, and it gets hot like 35 or 36 degrees Centigrade..."

"Hmm..."

An awkward silence followed, with both of us feeling the (conversationally) stale, humid, 32-degree air. We felt as if the air was a sweltering 38 degrees Centigrade. Never mind. It's the Philippines anyway.

She suggested that we eat at Din Tai Fung right in Greenbelt 4, and I obliged. Time to say goodbye to my PHP2,000! At least I don't get to eat stale Jollijeep food for a while, right? Right!

I silently thought of my way to get this dinner over with.

"It's already 6:45 PM and I have work tomorrow. I was thinking of having at most two courses for this meal..."

"OK, but we just first met," she hesitated, "Can't you stay a little longer?"

"Alright. I can stay a bit longer." I was hesitant, staring at my watch and not making any eye contact with her.

Initially, I thought that we order xiao long bao for a starter and some spicy noodles with peanut sauce. "That should satisfy the both of us!" I thought.

"Who gets to pay for this?" I asked.

"Don't worry, it's on me. Save your two thousand next time I invite you," she replied as she drew her wallet toward the table and she brusquely drew out a PHP1,000 bill.

Or so I thought...

"How did you get here? Where are you from?"

"From Ireland."

"How did you get here?"

"Booked a train from Dublin to London and from London, I booked a direct flight from Heathrow to Manila. You?"