Sibling Rivalry III: My Testimony

Then came the trial. Third Saturday of November. 9:00 AM sharp.

"All rise," the court interpreter ordered everyone in the court as the judge entered the bench. This was followed by a prayer recited by the court interpreter and the judge herself. "Almighty Creator, we stand in your Holy Presence as our Supreme Judge. We humbly beseech You to bless and inspire us so that what we think, say and do will be in accordance with Your will. Enlighten our minds, strengthen our spirit and fill our hearts with fraternal love, wisdom and understanding so we can become effective channels of truth, justice and peace. In our proceedings today, guide us in the path of righteousness for the fulfillment of Your greater glory. Amen."

"The Makati City Metropolitan Trial Court Branch 71 is now in session. Honorable Judge Czarina Monsod shall preside the case," announced the court interpreter.

The judge pounded the gavel to signify the start of the case and she sat down. Everyone else in court followed her lead to sit down.

Judge Monsod pounded the gavel to signify that Nina's case starts trial. Then, she sat down and the entire court audience sat down after she did.

"Call the case," ordered Judge Monsod.

"Your Honor, Criminal Case Number 874200, People of the Philippines vs. Nina Williams."

"Counsels, make your appearance," said Judge Monsod.

"Your Honor, I am Atty. Raymund Tan, representing the People of the Philippines."

"Your Honor, I am Atty. Nicasio Peña, representing the accused."

"Is the accused around?" asked Judge Monsod.

The defense counsel responded, "Yes, the accused is around, your Honor."

Judge Monsod ordered, "Arraign the accused."

Nina was asked to come forward to the defense table.

The court interpreter read the case, "People of the Philippines versus Nina Williams. Case Number 874200

"For: Act of lasciviousness (Art. 336/Art. 339, Revised Penal Code of the Philippines), Slight illegal detention (Art. 268, RPC) and Possession of Dangerous Drugs (Section 11, Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002)

"The accused, going by the name Nina Williams reportedly took a complainant named Godwyn I— L— (name censored) to Ascott Hotel, Makati. According to the complainant, he was given a chewing gum that seemed to have a side effects which allegedly dulled his capacity to reason. According to the complainant Godwyn, he suspected that the additional substance he ingested was a barbital. Furthermore, he was unknowingly invited to sleep with the accused on the evening of May 27th, and on the morning of May 28th, he realized that he was sleeping with the accused and that she offered him a mission to be one of her accomplices in a vigilante mission planned by the accused. The complainant stated that he was seduced by the accused, leading to him saying 'Yes' to her without him being aware of it. However, at or around 11:00 AM, the complainant left the said hotel room and managed to escape.

As for the chewing gum which the complainant claims that induced side effects, he claimed that the gum contained what he calls a "nasty substance". Chemical analyses done by an independent forensic laboratory suggest the presence of sodium thiopental which the accused claims she has no knowledge of. She also maintained that she does not know the presence of such a substance in the chewing gum she gave the defendant.

"Contrary to law."

"Do you understand these charges held against you, Ms. Williams?"

"I do, your Honor," she replied.