Chapter 4

Her POV

I look through the microscope as I study the bloodwork staring back at me. I watch the cells move to interact with the agent I had added.

I wrote down my observations, or lack thereof, as I removed the sample and started the system over again. The serum wasn't working. There was no reaction towards the cells.

I felt my hopes start to dwindle as the lack of reactions seeped into my mind.

I knew what my husband would tell me. He would say something about taking a step back and relaxing, and the answer would come to me. He would kiss me gently and tell me that everything would be alright.

I shook my head at the thoughts of him. He wasn't standing next to me. He wasn't there to tell me everything was alright and I would find the answer.

He wasn't here.

Shaking my head for a second, I try to clear my thoughts of him. But I can't.

As I continue my work, I let my mind start to wander to my past.

*****

Years Ago

I changed my outfit again as my nerves over this date rattled me. We clicked so easily when we met, but what if the connection was all in my head. Or what if he didn't feel the same.

I've never felt this strongly for a man I just met. Or anyone for that matter. It felt like fate to have met him. I just hope he feels it too.

A knock on my door brings a smile to my face. It's completely an irrational reaction, but I can't help it. Straightening out my dress one more time, I opened the door to be greeted by the sweetest and most handsome man I had ever met.

His dark chocolate brown eyes swept over me as I did the same to him. He is a few inches taller than me and covered with hard, defined muscles. His dark hair is swept back in an undercut style and he has a short stubbled beard. His face lit up as the smile he wore grew larger.

His eyes heat as he continues to look over my outfit. I had decided to go with a green and yellow sundress that hugged my frame and flowed out from my hips to stop right above my knees. I had thought the dress was simple, but he looked at me as if it was the sexiest outfit in the world.

"Hi," I say, having lost all other words in the English dictionary.

"You look beautiful, Ashlyn," he tells me as he hands me a purple rose.

I take the delicate flower into my hand before bringing the flower to my nose. The sweet scent filled my senses and caused my smile to grow.

The unique color of the rose didn't escape my attention and caused my heart to flutter erratically.

"I don't know if you were aware of this, but different color roses mean different things," I tell him.

He smiles back at me as he steps closer to lean against my doorframe, "I know. Do you know what a purple rose means?"

I bite my bottom lip to try and hold back the emotions I know are fighting to break through, "Love at first sight."

"I thought it was fitting," he smiles.

"It's perfect," I tell him, "Thank you."

He just continues to smile as I motion for him to follow me into the apartment so I can place the rose into a thin vase.

"I'm glad you think it's perfect," he tells me. After placing the flower onto the middle of my table, I walk back to him.

"Are you ready to go?" I ask him.

"Almost," he says before he takes a step closer to me and moves his hand up to cup my cheek, "There is just one thing I have to do first."

I look up to him questioningly, "And what would that be?"

"To kiss you."

I smile widely at him before he moves even closer. Our bodies pressed against each other as he places his lips on mine.

It feels like magic as the electricity moves through me. Our lips move together in a gentle rhythm. He tastes sweet and smells like pine.

My heart hammers in my chest as my body tingles. His tongue slides against my lips before sliding in to touch mine. My hands move through his hair as he pulls me tight against him by my hips.

When we finally pull away, I can't keep my smile off my face, "That was-"

"Perfect," his voice is husky and low, and makes me want to kiss him again, "Now I'm ready for our date."

"Me too," I laugh lightly.

Taking a step back, he holds my hand in his and walks me to my door.

It didn't matter where we went or what the plan was. After that kiss, this was the best first date I have ever been on.

*****

I hear the click of the alarmed door behind me. Looking up from the microscope, I see Dr. Anderson walk into the lab.

"The results are negative," I tell the scientist.

"Not shocking," I see him roll his eyes as he heads to his station, "The answer to eradicating these creatures isn't in some serum to change their genetics. It's in making weapons to wipe them out."

I want to scream at him that violence isn't the answer we are looking for, "There are other ways to get what we want," I tell him.

"Maybe you should take a break from the science and come to the fighting match today," he tells me.

I roll my eyes at him, "I'm not going to stop my research just to watch some barbaric pissing match."

"The fights can be scientific too," he tells me, "Watching how they interact with each other can tell us about how to fight them."

"Fighting just causes more death," I tell him, sick of hearing the same thing from him every time I refuse to watch the arena matches.

"Maybe watching them will help you with your research," he ponders, "See what the genetic make-ups you are so concerned about are actually doing."

"I don't need to watch them slaughter each other to study them," I say, "And neither do you. You are supposed to be a scientist, not a butcher."

"You need to open your eyes, Keene," he says, "We may be scientists, but our job is to find a way to kill them all."