Chapter 15

His POV

We followed Felix through the deserted hallways. No guards stopped us and we still hadn't seen a single lab coat. It was almost too empty.

"Anyone else thinking that we should have seen someone by now?" the witch whispers, "This is the third empty floor we've been on."

Before anyone has a chance to respond, I hear another explosion as the ground below us shakes.

"Another bomb?" she asks.

I nod my reply before I look at the two vampires, "Could either of you tell which direction it came from?"

"Southside of the building," one of them answers as they tilt their head to the side as they try to focus their hearing, "I can hear a few people calling out for guards."

"Which part of the building is the lab located?" I turn to Felix.

"Northside," he says, "We came up from the central building. All labs and research that I had been taken to were in the north annex."

"That's why no guards," I smile, "All the bombs are south, drawing them away."

A perfect distraction, I think to myself.

"Well let's get moving before the guards realize we are here," the witch says, motioning us forward with the back of her hand.

The flashing red glow from the alarm strobed the space. There were only five of us, so we could move faster and without being detected.

"I don't understand why we aren't leaving," one of the vampires said.

"I can't leave," I growl as I try to get us to move faster. My heart is racing as I think of everything that has happened over the last few months.

I just need to get to the lab, I tell myself, Just get to the lab.

"Why? What's so important in that lab that you would risk your life and all of ours for?"

"It's not a what, it's a who," I snap, "Now shut up."

"A who? What-"

"Enough!" Felix snaps, "If you want to try to get out on your own, then go."

Everyone went silent as we moved down a hall and through the north building. Taking two flights of stairs up, we exited onto a lab floor.

"It's up ahead and to the left," Felix slows.

I move to round the corner when a hand pushes me against the wall. I growl lowly at the vampire.

"Human," he whispers, his voice barely audible to my hearing, "I can smell them."

I lift my face slightly as I try to locate the scent. The smell of vanilla and lavender invading all my senses. Shoving the vampire's hand off my chest, I round the corner quickly.

The second my eyes land on her, my heart stops. I lose every thought I have as I take her in. She looks the same as the day I first met her, like a goddess. My own personal angel.

Seeing her in front of me feels like coming home.

"Human," I hear snarled behind me.

Before I can blink, the vampire stands in front of her. He wraps his hand around her throat and pushes her against the wall. He makes a move to open his mouth, but I'm immediately there.

Forcing my hands to shift and grow my claws, I slash into the skin of the arm holding her throat. The second he lets go, I dig my hand into his back and throw him against the opposite wall.

I see the vampire's black blood drip down his chest as I block him from her.

I breathe heavily as my growl thunders through the hall, "Do. Not. Touch. Her."

He pushes off the wall and flashes his teeth at me in a snarl, "She's one of them."

"No, she isn't," I growl. I move to take a step towards him when I feel a light pressure against my back.

My skin fills with heat as the electricity licks up each of my muscles. I feel my body and mind calm as I release all my anger the second I feel her touch.

Turning towards her, my hands come up to cup her face as she places her palms against my chest and over my erratic heart.

She gives me a soft smile as tears fill her eyes. All I want to do is kiss away every ounce of pain she has felt since we have been apart.

"Phoenix," her voice is soft like my favorite melody.

I lean forward to rest my forehead against hers as I release a deep sigh. Breathing deeply feels like the first amount of fresh air I've had in months.

"Hey Sunshine."