Chapter 14

Her POV

It takes only two minutes after the announcement for a few guards to run into the lab. They all seem out of breath as they order us into three groups.

They don't want to get caught unprotected for too long, so one of the guards starts to escort the first group away. It takes me a second to notice Anderson went with the first group.

Dammit, I curse to myself. That was definitely not good news.

After the second group leaves, there is only me, the guard Thompson, and one other scientist left in the space.

"Are you two ready?" Thompson asks.

"Yes," the other guy says. I just nod my head before we follow him into the hall.

The flashing red lights cause the path to glow and dim like the setting of a horror movie. I feel my heart racing as we head towards the staircases.

"What happened?" the other guy speaks up.

"There was an explosion in the south building. We don't know how but it must have damaged the power in the cells," Thompson explains, "All of the prisoners have escaped."

I feel my breath deepen as his words reach me. All of them have escaped. They aren't trapped anymore.

"Are they still in the building?" he asks.

"Patrols spotted some of them breaking for the woods. We can't know for sure until we are able to do a full sweep."

We turn the corner and stop immediately. Thompson raises his gun. Standing down the hall are a man and woman standing over a dead guard. I can make out the blood covering their bodies as they both growl loudly towards us.

They're shifters.

"Stay back or I'll shoot," Thompson warns when they take a step forward.

I shift slightly to be standing more behind him. I'm so close, my fingers graze the top of the baton hanging from his waist.

The shifter pair takes another step forward as they prepare themselves to attack.

"I mean it," he orders, "Don't move or I'll shoot!"

I don't let him follow through with it.

Shifting quickly, I kick my heel down into Thompson's left calf, just below the knee as my hand wraps around the end of the baton. The momentum of him falling to his knees drags the baton out of his toolbelt.

Hitting the button, I slam the electricity into his neck.

Thompson shakes and stutters as I hear the gun clatter to the tiled floor. He quickly falls next to it.

Turning quickly, I whip the stick across the other scientist's forehead and hit his temple head-on. He collapses to the floor too.

I reach down to collect the gun and check it before I place it into the back of my waistband. I throw the baton down between the two unconscious men.

"Can either of you shift?" I ask them.

They both shake their heads, not even bothering to lie. The shock at what I just did showing clear on their faces.

I start to walk towards the shifters, "If you want to make it out of this building, I suggest you follow me."

"How can we trust you?" the girl asks hesitantly, glancing at the men behind me.

Peeling off my lab coat, I throw the white clothe to the floor before I pull the left collar of my blouse down until my entire left shoulder is completely exposed.

I watch their eyes widen as they take in the markings that wrap over my skin.

"Is that-" the boy asks, not able to finish his thought.

"It is," I nod before lifting my shirt back to its original place. Effectively covering the marking, "Do you trust me now?"

They both nod repeatedly. I signal them to follow behind me as we start to head down the hall, "Let's go."