Chapter 23

Dinner with our parents was dreadful.

The Louvre Restaurant was classy and elegant just as Jared described. We were all seated in a booth on the third floor that displayed an enchanting view of the city but was far too private for my liking. I was seated between Liza and Jared while my parents sat next to Robert Cunning.

The prospect of having dinner with my parents had excited me before but it seems they were not very eager to see me.

Upon greeting me, my mother commented on my plain face and gave me a pat on the shoulder instead of an embrace like a normal mother.

My father callously berated me with questions regarding Jared and our relationship instead of asking me about school or personal health.

"It's too bad Amelia couldn't join us," my mom commented as the appetizers were served.

Robert Cunning threw a tight smile at my mother. "Amelia was not feeling well Lillian."

"Well then do tell her to pay us a visit in Venice if she's ever in the city. I've only met her once at a ball, I think it was maybe 15 years ago. I would like to get to know her," my mother replied as she took a sip of water. "We are going to become a family after all."

I groaned and dropped the bread stick I was currently eating on my plate.

Mother noticed my annoyance but kept up with her talk anyways.

"So Jared, tell me! What type of wedding theme are we going for? I'm thinking something floral or wait! On the beach!" my mother professed with glee.

Jared cleared his throat. "I don't know ma'am. I frankly have no interest in topics like these. Julia has not brought up the subject."

"And I never will," I declared, looking up to meet my mothers enraged eyes.

"Oh don't mind her Jared," she said as she waved me off with her hands. "Julia has been so hard-headed lately. She'll come around soon. Just give her some time."

"It's okay ma'am. I know she can be a handful most of the time," Jared replied. "Believe me, I'm used to it."

A handful? Now he's just making stuff up.

"Oh dear, please, call me Lillian."

Jared raised one of his brows. "I feel that is not appropriate-"

"Fine, then call me Miss Lilly. Does that work?"

I could sense Jared was starting to become agitated. My mother was Lillian Hart. One look from her and anyone would be squirming in their seat. She was threatening but also annoying.

"I suppose so."

"Great. I love how all of us are communicating and getting to know each other," Robert Cunning said with a smile on his face.

"Am I late to the 'getting to know each other' party? Is there room for me to join in?" said a voice approaching our private booth.

I knew that voice. Just hearing it made a shiver run down my spine.

Amelia Cunning, dressed in a sequin black knee length dress, came up to our table and took a seat next to her husband.

The smile she held on her face was fake, anyone could tell, but of course, in high society, little matters like these were never confronted.

"Mom. I thought you weren't feeling well?" Liza said quickly before anyone else started talking.

Amelia's face went from fake smile to confused as fast as a heart beat.