Chapter 9

Word Count: 3274

For a few moments, Keziah's anxieties disappeared as she gazed around at the Great Hall. It was strangely beautiful, with a ceiling that reflected the starry night sky. The place was lit by thousands of candles, hovering a few feet above the students. The tables were covered in glittering gold plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another table, with a garish purple tablecloth, that housed the Hogwarts staff. Dotted here and there among the students, Keziah could spot the misty silver outline of a ghost. The student bodies' faces turned into flickering lanterns, itching at Keziah's skin, her nervousness creeping back in, its nails digging into her back.

She quickly turned her attention back to the front as McGonagall placed a three-legged stool in front of them, as well as a grubby old witch's hat. Keziah's blood ran cold as she realised the Sorting Hat could read your mind. She wondered if it would call her out on her unique predicament of actually being from a different universe in the future?

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,"

Keziah jumped. She had been so wrapped up in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed the hat had begun singing.

"I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you have a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Keziah frowned. The way that the hat had talked, more like sung, about Slytherin didn't sit right with her. Still, she applauded along with the rest of the school. McGonagall stepped forward, holding a long roll of parchment. She cleared her throat, staring out at the entire hall before looking back down.

"Abbot, Hannah!"

A pink-faced girl with blonde plaits stepped forward, rushing towards the hat and jamming it on her head, nibbling at her lips. There was a pause before the hat decided she sat best with the house of yellow and black.

The sorting continued like that for a bit. When Seamus stepped up, she cheered especially loud and gave him a thumbs-up as he made his way to the Gryffindor table. Then it was Hermione Granger. She looked quite different from Emma Watson, with a proper bush of dark hair that fanned out on either side of her. As expected, she was sorted into Gryffindor. There went a couple more people. Keziah watched as Neville Longbottom was sorted, rightfully, into Gryffindor, though he didn't look like one at the moment.

She scowled lightly when Draco Malfoy swaggered up, the hat barely touching his gelled-up hair before it chose his house. The lilac girl in front of her, Lily Moon, was also sorted into Slytherin. Moon had a sort of vacant expression as she drifted down into the seats, fiddling with a golden fork.

They sorted through a couple more people until McGonagall finally called out "Potter, Harry!"

The hall erupted into excited whispers, with some people kneeling up onto the benches to get a better look at him. Keziah stood up taller, catching Harry's eye and giving him a reassuring smile. He sat under the hat for a minute or so, his knuckles white as he gripped the wooden stool. As the hat called out his house, the hall burst into ferocious cheers that hurt Keziah's ears. Harry walked shakily towards the Gryffindor table. The cheers were so loud that Keziah didn't hear her own name being called until the boy behind her poked her ribcage.