Chapter 7

Rey and I walk outside, BB-8 following close behind, Rey looks awestruck at the sight before us, a calm lake surrounded by trees, birds chirp in the air, Rey closes her eyes and inhales the smells of the forest. A temple like place stands in the distance, I guess that that is where we are going. Someone walks up behind us, I spin around, ready to attack. "Alex. Relax." Rey says grabbing my arm.
    "Sorry." I say sheepishly. The man nods in understanding.
    "Old habits die hard," he says, I look at him with a soft smile, glad he understands.
    "Yeah. I'm Alex, formerly AX-7897." I figured he had a right to know who I had been.
    "Han. Solo." He says shaking my hand. I give a laugh.
    "The First Order hates you." Han gives a knowing smile.
    "What do you think?"
    "I think you are okay." He gives a small chuckle and turns to Rey, handing her a small blaster.
    "You might need this." He says.
    "I think I can handle myself." Rey says, looking a little annoyed. Han looks at her.
    "I know you do. That's why I'm giving it to you." Han says, "Take it." Rey takes the blaster and aims it, closing one eye. "You know how to use one of those?" He asks.
    "Yeah." She responds, "You pull the trigger." Han puts his hand on hers and lowers the blaster. I hold back a giggle.
    "Little bit more to it than that." Han says, Rey looks at him and then looks quickly down, seemingly not wanting Han to catch her looking at him. "You got a lot to learn." He says taking a deep breath and putting his hands on his hips. "You got a name?" He asks looking towards Rey.
    "Rey." She says, looking at him.
    "Rey." He repeats, looking out at the lake, not seeing the smile Rey gives. "I been thinking about bringing on some more crew, Rey. A second mate. Someone to help out." Rey furrows her brows in thinking, "Someone who can keep up with Chewie and me, appreciates the Falcon." He says gesturing to the ship.
    "Are you offering me a job?" Rey asks, moving to look Han in the eye. I can tell she's excited, trying not to let it show and failing.
    "I wouldn't be nice to you. Doesn't pay much." He says, almost seeming to try to convince Rey to not take the offer.
    "You're offering me a job." Rey says, nodding and smiling. Han shakes his head, trying not to let his happiness show, I can see it though.
    "I'm thinking about it." He says, then turns to me, "You too." Rey looks down thinking, "Well?" Han asks. Rey shakes her head softly. Looking back at Han.
    "If you were, I'd be flattered. But I have to get home." Han looks a little taken aback, I can see the hit of sadness in his eyes.
    "Where, Jakku?" He says with an almost unnoticeable laugh.
    "I've already been away for too long." She says looking down again, Han looks at me.
    "I go with her." I say, "Thank you though. It means a lot." I say. Han turns away, I feel a slight pang of sadness, I liked the old man, and was sad to know he would be leaving, but I owed a debt to Rey, and, well, I wanted to stay with her.
    "Chewie, check out the ship as best you can." Chewie groans something in response. Han turns back toward Rey and I, pushing down Rey's blaster that was half way up giving her a look. "That's too bad. Chewie kind of likes you." He says, I know the hidden message, he wants Rey to stick around, he likes her too. He walks towards the temple-like building. Rey gives a grimace and we follow.
——
    "Solo, why are we here again?" Finn asks, for what has to be the fifth time.
    "To get your droid on a clean ship." Han responds.
    "Clean?" Rey questions.
    "You think it was luck that Chewie and I found the Falcon?" Han says, "If we can find it on our scanners the First Order's not far behind." He says, as we pass a tall red droid, it looks like a bounty hunter droid to me. "Wanna get BB-8 to the Resistance? Maz Kanata's our best bet." We walk into the courtyard of the temple-like building, colorful banners hang across ropes, and a statue stands with open arms.I give a small laugh as Finn gives an odd look to the droid passing us.
    "We can trust her right?" Finn asks.
    "Relax, kid. She's run this watering hole for a thousand years. Maz is a bit of an acquired taste," he says as we walk up the steps to double doors. "So let me do the talking. And whatever you do, don't stare." He says, turning back towards us.
    "At what?" The three of us chorus.
    "Any of it." He says, the doors open as we look at each other, walking it to what could be our doom.
——