Chapter 5

With a sharp buzz that continued to sound, a bright blue light extended from the silver hilt Rey held. The light did not expand in width but remained thin and solid. As long as a blade, but radiated power. This lightsaber was just as she described: an energy sword.

Legolas stared in awe, along with his father and his two personal guards, Fuirdaer and Calithilel. King Thranduil had descended from his elevated throne to speak with Rey—a sign of respect. And, if he knew his father, the young woman intrigued him.

She surely did Legolas.

Her arriving on a flying machine, dressed as she was, claiming to be a Jedi, able to communicate to a ghost through the Force, and wielding a lightsaber and other mystical powers was interesting and confusing enough. (She instructed Fuirdaer to fire an arrow at a distant pillar, and she merely lifted her hand and the speeding shaft halted in midair. Slowly curling her fingers brought it back to lie at his feet.) But, being an alien from another galaxy...

There were other planets and galaxies. New races, species of animals and plants. Lifestyles vastly different from the peoples of Middle-earth. Technology. More wars, battles, people dying, and hardship.

Everything about Rey was hard to fathom.

"I'm sure you don't want anything broken, so..." Rey began, moved her thumb off a button, and the buzzing lightsaber retracted back into the hilt. She had twirled it around, saying what all it could cut through. Which sounded like everything.

You've been showing off again, Rey, that male voice said, echoing out of nowhere—it was playful. Master Luke, she said.

Shush. No I haven't, Rey replied.

He made a disgruntled noise in his throat.

"King Thranduil, did anything I say make sense?" she asked.

With it being winter, the red berries usually supplying color on his crown of twigs were gone, so the iciness of the Elven king's blue eyes weren't softened as his stare shot over to her. Legolas was positive Rey wasn't cowed by the gaze for her straight posture and firm look meant she had experienced plenty of intimidating moments.

"Yes, and no. It is hard to believe in this 'Force' but as I have seen you display this energy, it must be real. But as you can deduct from our reactions, such a thing is unheard of in Middle-earth, and I cannot recall reading any recording of Jedi. Neither are there records of foreign visitors, such as yourself. Nor do I know of how you may return to your own Galaxy."

She retained her steady frame, but Legolas could sense Rey's hope fading.

"However, there is a place you can travel to for records that may help. Since Fornost has long since fallen into ruin and I do not believe Imladris holds which can be of assistance, only one other place maintains recordings of old. But be aware that they may not hold the answers you seek."

"Minas Tirith," Legolas said. He had begun thinking the same earlier.

Eyes moving over to him, Thranduil nodded. "Gondorian kings took great care maintaining ancient histories in their archives. Nearly the only trait Men retained from the Elves when we taught them life when they awoke."

He looked back at her. "Legolas will accompany you to Minas Tirith tomorrow. It is a twenty-day journey. Calithilel will take you to a chamber for food, rest, and more suitable attire."

Rey thanked his father then followed the female Elf down from the open throne room and across the winding paths to other halls of the palace.

It was silent for a while after they left. The king dismissed Fuirdaer, the last guard posted at the bottom of the throne room.

"Her arrival is no accident," Thranduil said in Sindarin once father and son were alone.

Legolas raised an eyebrow and replied in the same manner. His father intended to keep their conversation a secret from Rey, in case she possessed heightened hearing, along with her other unnatural gifts. "How so?"

"A prophecy." He shook his head. "I read those words so long ago, I do not remember the exact phrasing, but there is mention of a powerful 'force'. Then, I took it as physical, but perhaps it means more. Perhaps this Force Rey has some command over."

He did not like what his father was implying. "Even if true, I do not believe Rey would fulfil this prophecy."

"Intentionally? No, she would not. Every soul possesses an inkling of evil—some greater than others. Rey herself..." Thranduil's eyes grew distant. "She holds immense darkness, untouched and unembraced. I am not sure she even realizes it."

On first meeting her, Legolas had felt the same. How could such a small young woman have such power? For her to possess that strength and not know it, her parents or further lineage must've passed it down through bloodline. To be honest, he was wary and fearful. Now he's at ease around her, fully aware of her dangerous skills and power, but also knowing she isn't evil. She's good.

Lost in thought, Thranduil clasped his hands behind his back and slowly began pacing. "I fear what her coming has brought."

The action stunned Legolas. Never had he seen his father do such a thing and look... worried.

"What is this prophecy you speak of?"

The king didn't answer.

"Ada?" His fear weighed down his voice.

Hearing the emotion shaking his son's words made Thranduil look. Legolas almost wished he wouldn't have—absolute dread had his strong, piercing blue eyes trembling.

"I am sorry, The Second Prophecy of Mandos; he foretold the return of evil and terror—greater than that of Sauron. For this foresight concerns his master's return, along with him."

All blood left Legolas' body, leaving him weak. "Morg—"

"I pray I am wrong," Thranduil said. "Do not inform others of my theory before learning certainty. But know that if I'm correct, it is probable Middle-earth will not survive."

ada - father

iôn - son