Chapter 7

These regular horses weren't nearly as fast as the orbaks from Pasanna and wouldn't give the fathiers even a challenge in a race. Being so used to the blazing speed of speeder bikes and even Quadjumpers, Kylo felt he was moving as slow as a Sand sloth—a sloth native to the planet Annoo.

But, there were no such machines here in Middle-earth. No technology, either. People rode horses, carriages, or just walked to go somewhere. Kylo scoffed. Primitive fools.

Thilion—the Gondorian he kept alive to answer his questions—advised him not to fly the Whisper—his black TIE Fighter would draw unwanted attention.

Frankly, Kylo didn't care what the Free People of Middle-earth thought about him and his dangerous flying machine. He was the Supreme Leader of the First Order and the last Sith Lord! He should be feared and respected.

Based on Thilion and his men's reaction to his use of the Force, though—and later when Kylo searched the Gondorian's mind to see that he truly did not know what the Force was—no one in this Middle-earth knew any of that.

So, agreeing with Thilion's advice, Kylo moved the Whisper behind a cluster of black, jagged boulders—while keeping the Gondorian frozen in place so he wouldn't run—chose a gray horse to ride, and left Mordor destined for Minas Tirith. The library in the city of Men could help him find a way back to his galaxy. Kylo also kept Thilion alive to be his informant and guide.

For now.

Their journey would take about three days, provided they didn't encounter bandits, Orcs, or roaming Haradrim. Thilion had to explain everything to Kylo, starting with what Orcs and the Haradrim were and ending with why they would attack when their master had been defeated five years ago.

"A full moon's cycle has passed since something in the airs shifted, and they are moving. Orcs; Haradrim; all foul things. I assume the Easterlings are gathering strength, as well, but they are in Rhûn. My men and I were sent to Mordor because of so, and to report news." Thilion took a deep breath. "I fear the Enemy is somehow returning."

Kylo didn't care. Yes, he had felt the uneasiness of the earth, centered around his ship, but his coming as a foreigner—as an alien—was why. This possible new war brewing couldn't be because of him, nor would he be involved. All he wanted was to reach this Minas Tirith soon, find a way back to his galaxy, and resume his search for that mysterious broadcast.

As the sun began to fall behind the mountain wall surrounding Mordor and darkened the road they traveled on, the Gondorian suggested they make camp before it grew too dark to see. He feared Kylo because of what he could do, so everything he said was timid or as a suggestion—never a statement or a demand. Something Kylo knew he was unused to doing, from being the captain of his men and ordering them around.

Just to see what Thilion would do, Kylo remained silent and never stopped—he could see fine, and sensing life energies helped guide him. Thilion never protested or suggested stopping again. The Sith Lord started to actually like the Man because of his ease of acknowledging who was truly in charge.

But when the sky grew dark, Kylo did stop—for the safety of the horses.

They made a meager camp on the side of the road, only composed of a little fire. The steep mountain wall sat at their back and they faced the dark, quiet trees. Thilion shared the strips of jerky he had with Kylo. The dried meat was leathery and hard, but they had a good flavor.

After just swallowing his last bite of jerky, Kylo sensed other life energies. He looked into the forest. Their souls were hardened. Cruel. Attracted by the fire, they meant harm.

"A group of men are approaching," Kylo declared.

Thilion swiftly rose, and metal rang as he unsheathed his sword. The firelight glinted off the sharp silver blade. "You can sense things, too?" he asked.

Kylo casually rose, not in any hurry since he knew these approaching couldn't harm him. "Naturally."

He smelled them before the seven Men appeared out of the trees—the horses did too, snorting in distaste and moving back. The Men had long, wiry, unkempt hair and beards, dressed in dirty fur and pelts, reeked of body odor, and wielded jagged swords or hatchets.

"Depart now and you will live," Thilion commanded. Kylo glanced at him, impressed. He hadn't lost the authoritative voice, and he seemed intimidating. It hadn't affected Kylo when he first addressed him in Mordor, but if these bandits had any sense, they would follow his warning.

They only chuckled, darkly.

Dead fools.

Without waiting for them to speak, Kylo ignited his lightsaber, immediately drawing all attention to the crimson beam shooting out of his hand. Puzzlement and unmistakable fear reflected in seven pairs of eyes. He smirked, before lifting his hand and pulled one after another to him and slicing through them with ease.

Screaming in horror at the madman wielding a strange energy sword, one bandit threw his hatchet at Kylo. He easily halted it and sent it back somersaulting into its owner's chest. The last three bolted into the forest.

Using the Force, he brought all three back. They screamed and hollered but their bodies were completely immobile as they floated backward. Now hovering before him, Kylo spun them around to face the Sith Lord. Their bulging, trembling eyes were locked on his tall, black form as he decided on how to kill them.

Bored with toying with them, the red light withdrew into the hilt as Kylo just chose to cut off their air supply in a Force Choke. He freed their arms so they could grasp helplessly at their necks, trying to claw for breath. Once their arms dropped and he sensed their life energies were gone, Kylo released his hold, and the dead bodies collapsed into heaps.

Hearing a wet gasping, he turned to the one he reflected the hatchet back into. The Man's wide eyes followed his trek over. Kylo knelt beside him.

"You could've lived, if you had listened," he said.

He angled his lightsaber at the bandit's waist and ignited it, shooting the crimson beam through his torso and out the other side. Much how Snoke had died, but he was cut in two when he pulled the lightsaber to Rey's hand. The life faded from the Man's eyes just as quick, though.

Rey.

He forced himself not to think of her since that day in Snoke's throne room when she rejected him. Mainly his offer to rule the Galaxy alongside him, yes, but... there was more to it, at least for him.

Sighing—shoving that hard-headed, stubborn, and beautiful brunette from the forefront of his mind—Kylo straightened and turned to the silent Thilion.

Even with only the campfire providing light, he could see how pale and visibly shaken the Gondorian was. He still held his sword, ready for a fight.

"What manner of weapon was that light?" he asked in a trembling voice.

"A lightsaber."

His eyes dropped to the three bandits that had ran. "And did you... suffocate... them?"

Kylo nodded.

It took him a few moments to find his voice again. "It would be wise for us to remove the bodies—the blood will attract predators."

"I'll do it." Using the Force, all seven limp bodies rose. "You best be here when I return."

Thilion frantically bobbed his head. "I will. You have my word."

Kylo didn't doubt it especially after his slaughtering of the bandits. He delved into the dark forest with a smirk on his lips and seven bodies following him.