Chapter 16

As soon as the announcement was over, I felt something in my chest. It was as if I was about to collapse. This is the part where in the movies the protagonist faints in the hands of a new made friend which I almost fell, I got on one knee Ethan held me upright and the protagonist wakes up the other day having some other problems to overcome. Everyone started chattering. I got up in some time. I had a serious ache in my chest. Ignoring it I said "quick everyone we need to save them, get to the rockets" I had no idea how to save them but I was thinking we would get to the WWO's headquarter and see how things go out or maybe see who's behind all this and stop all this. We all were running towards the rockets. Some went in the control center. There were about 5 people including Ethan joining me and Isabel going to mars and stop whoever is behind all this. Not a lot of people had joined hands because they were either scared or had lost hope or even were not interested in saving the world because they had no one to save. Some were saying that it was not possible and some were with me ready to help others. We climbed the rocket and strapped in. The command center was giving us a countdown "5...... 4...... 3.... 2......" and as the machine voice was about to reach one and initiate the launching phase the rocket shut down and the screens showed "access denied" we couldn't launch the rocket without WWO's permission. We were done there was nothing we could do. This was the only way to get us up on Mars which technically bailed on us. We unstrapped heartlessly and I looked at Isabel. The only thought ran in my mind is that it's only the both of us who really had to save mars and humans. The rest of them are not capable because they didn't seem fit enough. Everyone in the base was either older than us, either physically unfit or were overweight. We looked at each other. I felt something in my stomach. She was the only person whom I trusted with all my heart. I bet she felt the same connection. We unstrapped got up looking at each other depressed. I hugged her. I put my arm across her shoulder and she had her head on mine we were walking out of the rocket. We were the last to get off but the first to get on. We were hopeless, walking out of the rocket. I was thinking about her and I can tell she was thinking about me too. When we got off the rocket, we didn't even try to take our suits off. I held her hand and said, "I'll be back in some time." I headed in the men's restroom and without looking here and there went straight into a cube. I tried being quiet as possible. I felt the warm tears slide to my chin and jump to my shoe. In my head, I could only think about my daughter who I had lost. I had the complete flashback it was a dark night. There was fire everywhere. I had my daughter in my arms. She was wrapped tight around my chest. She was crying, all I could see was havoc and flames. On my shoulder, I had her head resting and on the other I had her bag with the little fairy's picture. We were running towards a water float rocket. We reached there, and I had to give her away to a soldier. I gave him her bag and told him to give her "this" handing him a photo of me and her. He took the photo. Emily was not letting go of me. She was wrapped tight around me. She was crying for the soldier to let go of her. Her small fingers holding my shirt tight. She wouldn't let go. The soldier was trying to take her away from me. I was crying I felt I had lost my world. She was yelling trying to come to me with tears all over her face. The soldier was holding her arm she wasn't able to escape from his grab. Soon the entrance closed and that was the last time I saw her. The rover went away from me into the water rocket. Everyone was seated and in a few minutes the rocket launched off it had gone far from me I waved yet I couldn't see her thinking she saw me waving goodbye.

I heard a knock right outside my cubical I replied "someone's in here" wiping my tears from my face which had now reached to the floor. I heard the reply, "it's me Isabel I know you're in here open up please I want to talk to you" "go away it's the men's restroom you're not allowed in here" "well I changed the sign to "under repair don't come in." So, no one's here you can let me in. We can talk about it" I slowly opened the door she came inside. She saw me crying so she knelt down grabbing my hand and said, "I know it's hard for you. But if you be like this, we won't be able to save her and the rest of the people. Yes, you heard me "WE"" I looked up at her smiling and asked her, "how do you know we'll save her?" "by not losing hope soo quickly." I wiped my tears once again got up and asked her, "what now" she said, "that's what I'm asking you. What now?" we walked out of the restroom and went where everyone was sitting, in the same room where we heard the announcement. Some were sitting on the floor, some were sitting leaning on the window pane, others on chairs slouched or rolled down turning the chair around and around. No one was making eye contact with anyone. The vibe of the room was awfully sad.