Chapter 22

I asked her, "what! Is he your dad?" "yes, he is.... I knew my dad worked for the WWO's. I thought he was just an employee. I didn't know he was behind this or he had soo much power" the man loaded his weapon and almost about to pull the trigger. He was fighting himself "the device is a mind controlling device it's telling to shoot us but he's resisting. Isabel do something make him fight it" Isabel stepped closer, as she was about to say something. Suddenly, he shot a bullet. I jumped and grabbed Isabel out of the bullets path. It shot me instead. A shock ran in my arm. Isabel was on the ground and my arm was bleeding badly. She was worried for me. She even tried helping but I held her hand and said, "don't worry about me, I'm fine help him" the man seemed as if he was almost in trauma. He was shaking violently. His hands going side to side. He was yelling as if something in him was trying to control him but he was resisting it. Isabel stepped out she said, "dad don't do this to yourself. I know you're listening to me. I want you to trust me just let go of the weapon slowly" the man suddenly aimed at Isabel. I was trying to get up, again to push her away but she looked closely to the man. She showed me her hand she said, "stop" I stopped at once. I could see Isabel curiously approaching her dad, who was holding the gun at her. I laid there on the floor helplessly. I couldn't do anything the pain was too much. Isabel also had told me to stay there, I didn't get up. As Isabel was approaching the man, he dropped his weapon from one hand, the same weapon with which he was pointing at her. He started the crazy shaking once again, I crawled to the other side and going there. I looked at Isabel put her hand on his forehead she was whispering, "it'll be alright, I'm here now. I will never leave you again, dad trust me" her dad tried resisting but then, suddenly with the gun on his other hand hit Isabel on her face. Knocking her down to the floor. Her cheek was bleeding she said, "dad you can do this, don't listen to them just trust yourself you can make it out of this. Just listen to what you want you can fix this; just fight it and I know you can do this" his other hand started shaking vigorously. Trying to lose the weapon but he couldn't. His hand seemed to be stuck to the weapon. He couldn't let go of it. Isabel kept on saying, "you can do this, think about me, think about my sister. Think about your wife we can have a happy family again. Like we used to have in Venice everything will get back to normal. You just have to take the device off" her father dropped the weapon to the ground. His hands stopped shaking. His eyes started closing he was having an emotional shift. Isabel looked at me I told her to go closer to him she went closer to him "dad you can do this. Just trust me listen to my voice you are strong" Isabel grabbed the device from his head his eyes were still closed and she ripped it off from his head "AAAHHH" the robotic voice was finally gone he was back to normal. I got up. I looked at them but then I saw her dad almost touch the ground. Isabel caught him I walked fast and in time I helped him up. He was laying half in air. I looked towards Isabel I still don't know what I saw in her eyes, but they were shiny with a thought of pride but the rest was unknown. In 10 seconds, we put him down on the ground and he opened his eyes, "Isabel my baby!" he said loud "I'm sorry Isabel. I will never do this again" they were hugging she asked him, "do what dad? It's not your fault" "yes honey you see.... My superior, Jack set me up he put this mind controlling device on me. He told me to kill you guys that's why there were so many conflicts with the infected, because you see when you were young. I gave you a tracking device which you still wore and through that I've been knowing your location and sending infected there. But when they come really close to you. I let you escape because, I couldn't do this to my daughter something inside me fought and stopped them before getting a hand on you. We need to work fast quick let's shut this down" I gave him a hand and he got up I asked him, "what do we do now sir?" he said, "sir? Don't call me sir" amused Isabel looked at me and said, "go to that control board and figure something out" I went to the control board I could only see weird random buttons, leviers, click switches and analogs. I asked him, "what do I do from here?" he said, "flick switch the four switches in the same order but remember to have an interval of 5 seconds between them" I looked at the board I saw the 4 switches. All were faced down. I flicked the first one up and it powered up the lights, in 5 seconds. I flipped the second one up, it powered up the other control boards. In another 5 seconds I flicked the third one, which made a rumble sound in the floor under us. Her father said, "don't worry it's the hydraulics" and a huge screen popped in front of us, Slowly. And in the next 5 seconds I flicked the last switch, which turned the screen on. "great now come here I need both of you" Isabel was already there so I rushed to him" he clicked a few buttons and, on the screen, there was a countdown going. He said, "if this reaches to 1 the atmosphere on mars will deplete the atmosphere will leave mars and escape into space, we need to stop this. Fast!" I asked him "where's Jack? Your superior?" he said, "he launched off to earth, hours ago. He's setting up resources for the humans on earth. He has spread the cure across the world through the atmosphere now everyone's cured, and he's setting up as the only company and ruling the world." "so, this was his plan?" "yes, but not all he left me here to extinguish humans on mars and once the atmosphere escapes. There will be no proof left that there was something on mars. It'll be all new for the people on earth. Like a new start" he was continuously pressing some buttons, he said, "when everyone is cured of Vordox, they won't have any memory of what had happened. So, it'll be just like a new beginning on Earth. Okay now press this button when I say" he pointed at a big button and he said, "Isabel you go over there and pull the big levier down as fast as possible when I say. We only have once chance. Don't ruin anything" I thought to myself "WHAT?! Only one chance what if we did something wrong?!" she ran just behind me and he went ahead and opened the plastic safety box which was on the key slot. He said looking at us, took a deep breath "are you ready?" he was at the front, I was a few steps behind him and Isabel was a few steps behind me. He said, "we all have to do this together" we nodded in yes. He said "three... two... one... NOW!" I closed my eyes as I pushed the button hoping we did it in the same time. He turned the key; I pressed the button and Isabel pulled the levier down. At the exact same time. I opened my eyes. We all were looking at the screen. It showed "command complete: mars atmosphere depletion deactivated" we head the same from an electronic female voice. We looked at each other and hugged each other. And in between that we heard a loud blast and gunshots. The fight was still on, but then suddenly the screen started showing "self-destruction in T minus 30.... 29" and it had started its countdown we had half a minute to escape the building. The building was about to self-destruct. Isabel's father had completely forgot about that he said, "GET OUT OF THE BUILDING"