Chapter 19

In half an hour we had reached our destination. I unbuckled myself and jumped off the cart Isabel followed me. I said, "now what?" she pointed to a steel door and I asked her once again, "how many zoo's do you have?" she replied, "no dummy it's the underground subway canal" I exclaimed and followed her. We tried to wedge the door open but we couldn't because if the infected cant how can the both of us can they're much stronger than us. We went around it and climbed up on the slope from the back. There was an air vent. We climbed in through that and jammed the air vent behind us. It was dark inside. The only light coming in was from the air vents which were only till the stairs, after that there were no air vents. We walked down the broken stairs, almost falling off of them and as we reached to the bottom, I switched on my watch light. We found a MCB it was tuned off Isabel went close to it I said, "be careful it might be electrified" she grabbed a broken staircase and turned it on. Suddenly the whole underground subway lit up. It was somewhat damaged. We saw a subway sitting right In front of us. she said, "you go disconnect the remaining units I'll try to turn this thing on." We were fast. I jumped on the section that connected the engine to the other carts till then Isabel pulled some wires out from the control board and joined them to one another. I felt a jerk the engine was moving. I turned around randomly and looked inside the cabins. I saw the infected in there. waiting for me to notice them. I jumped off of the connecting section and they started banging on the glass trying to escape. The engine was moving slowly and the infected had almost escaped. We had turned the lights on. The subway closed the doors automatically so they were practically stuck in there but they won't be for long. They'll find a way out. I jumped into the engine, I saw Isabel there she asked, "where did that noise come from, are they here?" I said, "yes they're in the rest of the blocks make it fast they'll escape any moment" she suddenly closed the door and said buckle up, I did so. I sat on the only seat and buckled up suddenly we heard a loud bang. They had escaped and now they were coming to break into the engine. Isabel pushed the lever forward which made the subway go faster. They were hitting hard on the doors trying to get in I was telling Isabel, "any moment now" she suddenly pulled the leaver and twisted a notch and they subway was moving way faster. She turned around in excitement and as she turned around, I saw the subway card scanner thrown at us. The card scanner was coming directly towards up. I was tied to the seat. I tried jumping up to save her but I couldn't. I couldn't even grab her hand and she couldn't understand that I was telling her to get aside. The scanner hit the window and dropped out but the broken pieces of glass hit Isabel on her back. I jumped out of the seat removing the seat-belt and grabbed her. the subway started moving at the speed of 30 miles per hour. I had no clue weather to take the next left or next right and where a dead end is. I picked her up and buckled her to the seat. Her eyes were woozy and she was in severe pain. I went to the control dash board, she had jacked up. The subway which now moved with a speed of 250 miles an hour. I had only ridden the subway once in my life which was a couple of days ago, with the speed of 50 miles. Now, I not only had to drive a subway with a speed of 250mph but I also had to take the right turns leading to her base. Neither did I know where to go nor I knew how to take a turn in this thing. I tried waking Isabel up, all the buttons appeared floating to me, nothing was clear and why did they have their instructions on the button in Spanish. I know we were in Spain but why in Spanish why not English. I traced my hands over some keys just figuring out something and suddenly heard a beeping sound the indicator was showing that we were about to reach a turn. I panicked and pulled out the map from the subway. And jumped on the floor with it. It was clear that I had to take the first right, but how? In the dashboard screen I could see that the subway was about to take a left. I thought of the most obvious buttons I pressed one, I heard a loud sound maybe it was the horn. I pressed another it was the lights they turned on and I could see the track more clearly. The monotonous beeping sound of the indication was still going on but in my head it was gradually increasing its intensity. I pressed another button and then I heard the beeping sound turn off. I panicked and pressed 2 more buttons but the second last did something to the track that it changed its direction. We were heading right, just a few seconds before we were at a high speed. So, I took out the fire extinguisher and plopped off the roof window, so that the subway doesn't derail, as we take a sharp turn. Just to lose some weight I threw out more stuff. I looked at the map again. It was telling me to take the next left and then the next right because if I take the right this time I would be in France. I did not know how to take the left, now the screen showed that the train will go to the right I tried pressing the buttons near the one which took the right. Nothing happened, I tried everything the indication started beeping again. We were about to hit a dead end to France. I tried once again pressed all the buttons on the right of the dashboard where I found the one that took the right. I couldn't find anything. The subway was about to take a right when. Isabel unbuckled herself and pressed the button that was on the far left of the dash board that made the engine go left. I looked at her. She was still bleeding the subway was about to reach its maximum speed when she was half on her feet and half leaned against the wall, she was smiling we had almost lost again. It was Isabel who made me realize that my number 1 priority is not only to save my daughter, but to be less selfish and care for others equally. For which the meaning of self-responsibility was glittering in her eyes. I was inspired by what she just had done. Inspite being wounded she cared for others more than she cared for herself. The subway took the left. I was looking at Isabel and I said, "go back to the seat ill drive" she smiled and sat down. Before we had to take the next right. We had some time so I picked up the first aid kit from the compartment down below and tied the bandage around her abdomen and took the next right to her base.