Chapter Seven

Remus:

What the hell. Professor Lupin looks a lot older than 33. I know my condition can take a toll but I didn't expect it to be this bad. And judging by the looks on my friends faces they didn't either.

He starts the class, "Good morning everyone. I'm just going to take the register and then we are going to head to the staffroom where we have got a boggart to practice on.". He calls our names and just like Professor McGonagall did and introduced all of us 'new' students to the class. "Ok everyone. Form a line in pairs of 2 and 3 and follow me to the staffroom." he say. I'm really happy. All of the students seem to like and respect me. Well, Professor Lupin. This is weird. We take this class with the Ravenclaws and they all seem nice enough. I doubt the Slytherins would be as nice though.

As we're walking to the staffroom, Peeves comes flying past. This is the first time I have seen him in this new time period. I think everyone was quite shocked when Peeves starts singing, "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy, Lupin!". I was startled. Even Peeves usually shows some level of respect to the teachers. Professor Lupin sees our looks and just says, "Oh, don't worry about that! He used to sing it when I was at school as well. Here's a trick to get rid of him.". Professor Lupin shows us a spell that made gum come out of nowhere and hit Peeves straight on the nose. It was hilarious!

When we step into the staffroom, it is completely empty apart from a couple of chairs and a large wardrobe. Professor Lupin stops in front of the wardrobe and turns around. He starts off by asking us a series of questions about Boggarts. Lily and I each answer one, earning 10 points for Gryffindor and a Ravenclaw answers another. He then tells us to get in a line and to prepare to face the Boggart. I was scared. Scared of what mine will be. In third year it was my friends dead bodies having been mauled by me in my werewolf form. I hope that by facing this Boggart I don't give up our real identities!

I'm eighth in line. Lily is in front of me and the rest of the Marauders are behind me. The first seven people's greatest fears are either spiders, snakes or their friends dead bodies. Then, it's Lily's go. She steps forward. I was quite interested to see what Lily Evans's greatest fear was. The boggart turns into a couple of shapes before settling on one. It's McGonagall. However, she doesn't look happy. She's glaring at Lily while holding a file. "Give me your wand. You are not good enough to study magic here, you filthy little mudblood." McGonagall says, in a very harsh voice. "R-ridikulus", Lily manages to stutter out. You can see that she's close to tears. Now, I can understand why Lily studies so much, why she is so pristine when it comes to the rules. It's because she thinks that she isn't good enough and one little thing will get her kicked out of this magical world, which is the biggest load of rubbish ever. Lily Evans is the smartest witch in our year, the brightest witch of her age and the fact that she has such a deep fear shows it. I hand her some of the chocolate that I have stored inside my pocket.

She needs it more than I do.

Professor Lupin:

Wow. The new girl, Holly Williams I think her name is, has a really deep fear. I've seen that fear before though. That was Lily Evans' boggart when we were in school. No, Remus, don't think about her. I know that if I think about Lily, that will lead to me thinking about James, and Sirius' betrayal and Peter's murder.... Stop Remus! Focus on the class.

I see the boy standing behind Holly hand her a piece of chocolate. This kid reminds me of myself! It's quite funny really. I tell him to step forward. The boggart changes a couple of times before deciding on it's form. It's a bunch of people screaming "Monster! Monster! Monster!". The kid, Ben Thompson I think his name is quickly says the incantation and steps aside looking worried and shaken. It's funny, that was my exact boggart when I was at school. Strange...

The next boy who steps forward has brown eyes, long dark hair not unlike the hair an old friend of mine had and is quite tanned. It's weird but he kind of reminds me of Padfoot - No, Black! Black, the traitor, the murderer. It boils my blood the mere thought of him. This kid seems nice though. His name's Derek Grey, I'm pretty sure. He seems quite confident going to face the boggart. When he steps in front of it, it immediately turns into a room of people, dressed in elegant fine clothes, with haughty expressions on their faces. "You're one of us now. Come, join us. Leave the filth behind and embrace your heritage." they keep saying over and over again. I can see the fear in the boy's eyes. He stutters out the incantation and turns to the boy behind him who gives him a hug.

I look at these two boys, and I feel like I'm back at school again. Properly back. Not as a teacher, but a student. They remind me of Padfoot and Prongs. Derek's boggart is exactly like Sirius'.... No Remus! You're just imagining things. Just because you saw his picture in the Daily Prophet this morning. Not an Azkaban picture of him, a young, happy, full of life picture of him. Yes, yes that's it!

After Derek and the other boy (I think he's called Thomas Alexander) stop embracing, Thomas steps forward. His boggart immediately changes into a room of people. "We trusted you!" they shout, "Help us! Please help us!". Thomas looks petrified. He seems almost unable to perform the incantation and as I'm about to step in front of him he performs it, quite well I might add.

Wow, these students' fears are really deep.

Another boy steps forward. The boggart immediately turns into a gravestone. Shit. What's wrong with these kids? Why aren't they seeing spiders and snakes? They are literally seeing death. It's horrible. This boy performs the incantation. Not as well as the other boys as he stuttered quite a lot but he got rid of the gravestone nevertheless.

Now, I'm expecting anything. More deep fears. But no, everyone else's seem totally normal. Spiders, snakes, even a chimpanzee! But I can't stop thinking about those 5 kids, who have such deep fears. All of the new students.

I'm beginning to think that there's more to them than meets the eye.