8 || FAMILY HONOR

Zee had been diligent keeping copies of cases for which Captain Johnson had sought her intervention. She usually disposed of them once a case was closed, but as she suspected the stolen kimono was unresolved, she still had the file stored in her bureau. 

She'd set Jim the task of running through all the information on the case while she delved deeper into the tome they had expropriated from the museum.

"Well, there's nothin' much to go on, really," Jim said, dragging his fingers through his blond hair. "The police checked her room - other than the fixtures and sparse furnishings which belong to the landlord; it's cleaned out - as if she was never there. And they haven't traced her to any of the internment camps..."

"Hmm," Zee mumbled, still absorbed in the ancient book.

Jim cleared his throat and announced, "But, I think I may have found something of interest."

Zee looked up at him and smiled. "Yes?"

Jim hesitated, momentarily struck by how attractive the magician was. He shook his head, dispersing with such folly then picked up the magnifying glass on the bureau. After gathering the file, he crossed to the kitchen table. Zee slid the tome aside so Jim could place the police file in front of her.

"This may be nothin' mind," Jim started, suddenly a little unsure, painfully aware of the hint of cleavage which poked out from Zee's unbuttoned shirt.

"Tell me," Zee replied, utterly oblivious to the Irishman's distraction. "What have you've found?"

"It's - just a possibility." Jim ran a finger around his collar to alleviate the rising temperature he was experiencing.

Zee's stare intimated she was not in the mood for dilly-dallying. 

Ever so slightly nervous, Jim began. "Right then - so as I said, they found nothin' in her apartment other than newspapers and dust." 

He shoved a few photographs in front of Zee. They depicted the suspect's room which was, as Jim correctly noted, practically empty other than the room fixtures. There was a small coffee table, and copies of The New York Times, The Herald Tribune, New York Post, to name but a few publications, were strewn, haphazardly across the table surface. 

Zee shook her head, taking in variable titles, news articles, celebrity gossip. "So... what is it you've spotted?"

"The dates and some advertisements. Look - " Jim drew Zee's attention to what he'd found curious. "We know how Lombard likes to attend all the art exhibitions and anything associated with curios and antiques. Well, look at the pages - they are all promoting such events from October 15th right up to - December 4rth..."

Zee's smile broadened. "The day the kimono was stolen, yes. Okay, so Miss Natsumi was likely looking for an opportunity when Lombard would attend before-mentioned events, allowing her to steal the kimono from his home while he was absent."

"That's what I was thinking. But, look closer."

Jim pulled the magnifier up and down for the best focus, then pointed to what had especially grabbed his interest. 

A coffee-ring circled a headline - US First Army Headquarters. The article below was about Governors Island, now fully functional for the military air and ground forces. Having been used in World War I by 22nd infantry to great success in transporting most of the two million American soldiers to France to fight in the war, it was deemed prudent for the island to be utilized again in World War II. Ideally situated, it was a central supply depot for the forces and a vital infrastructure between New York and Washington D.C.  

"Now, I'm not that much of a learned man, Zee, but I do know the Japs' culture has got a lot to do with honor and all that. Now, I'm thinkin' - great, great - however many greats back, he goes - uncle Rokurō must have brought disgrace to his family when the Emporer discovered his diabolical plan involving dead warriors. So..." Jim faltered, suddenly lost for words. He heaved a sigh. "To be honest, I don't really know where I was going with that. Never mind, I was jumping ahead of myself."

With brow furrowed, Zee remained silent, looking closely at the photos. 

After a few moments, feeling incredibly awkward, the Irishman huffed, lay down the magnifier and turned away. 

The magician suddenly grabbed Jim's arm. "I think you may be on to something."

"You do? What?" Jim asked, pleased his initial thoughts had been taken seriously, but more so, paying close attention to the manicured hand which held his forearm. A smile tickled the corners of his mouth. He could not help but feel a little disappointed, however, when Zee released him in favour of the ancient tome.

The magician drew the book closer, pushing the photographs of the suspect's room aside. After a final scan of the tome's content, she looked up at Jim. "I believe Miss Natsumi intends to invoke the imprisoned souls within the kimono."

"What?"

 "As you said, honor is something the Japanese value and cherish above all else. I think she hopes to regain her family honor by aiding the Japanese war campaign. If she gains favor with Hirohito, then her family name will be exonerated. Plus, her ancestor's plan to utilise a spectral army would also be achieved."

"That's a tad extreme, is it not?"

"As was Pearl Harbor," Zee said flatly. 

Jim shrugged. "Fair point."

"As for our suspect, where better to unleash such power but amid a pivotal army base in the very country which is at war with her homeland?"

"Uh-huh," Jim muttered, half excited and half nervous.

Zee, however, looked positively zealous. "We are going on a little excursion, Jim."

The Irishman cocked an eyebrow. "I thought you might say that." He grabbed his car keys as Zee picked up her bow tie. 

The magician smirked. "No need for them, Jim, we shall not journey by car."

"I need to collect something from the trunk though, and - well,  we're heading to Governors Island, aren't we?"

"Yes! But, as it is an army base, they are not simply going to allow us to drive off a ferry, now are they?" She donned her jacket.

Jim looked a little sheepish. "No, and I don't fancy being shot today."

"Or any day, for that matter," Zee smiled, tilting her fedora. "Now hurry. Get what you need from your car and come back here. We are going to travel my way, Jim, and if you're not too familiar with portals, I suggest you brace yourself."

*****

Trivia time:

GOVERNORS ISLAND, NEW YORK

The native Lenape (also called the Leni Lenape, Lenni Lenape and Delaware people, are an indigenous people of the North-Eastern Woodlands who live in Canada and the United States) originally referred to Governors Island as Paggank ("nut island"). The name was translated into the Dutch Noten Eylandt, then Anglicized into Nutten Island, before being renamed Governor's Island by the late 18th century. The island's use as a military installation, dates to 1776, during the American Revolutionary War when Continental Army troops raised defensive works on the island. From 1783 to 1966, the island was a United States Army post, serving mainly as a training ground for troops, though it also served as a strategic defence point during wartime. 

1941

Between the two world wars, the island served as a principal headquarters for Army ground and air forces. By World War II, the U.S. First Army used it as its headquarters. Originally established in Europe in 1919, the First Army initiated its planning efforts for the D-Day invasion on Governors Island. The D-Day invasion led to the American landing in Normandy and the liberation of Europe.

Source: Wikipedia