11 || FOOTPRINTS IN THE DIRT

Music: RADA || Thomas Bergersen - (this music inspired me when writing this)

In a flurry of silken sleeves, the witch launched a series of magical strikes in the heroes' direction. Each bolt hit the dirt as Jim, and Zee artfully dodged the attacks.

"I need to disable her," Zee shouted to Jim over the battle cries of approaching phantom armies. "I will try to keep you shielded, though."

Jim nodded and readied himself at the portal, where the first onslaught of warriors was about to spill. A phosphorescent buffer formed around him, the thrum of Zee's magic reverberating on the ground beneath his feet. Jim smiled his gratitude, although a hint of uncertainty still swam in his eyes.

Natsumi sent another barrage of bolts towards the two heroes. The shield protected Jim, but Zee took a hit and was thrown a few feet to the side. She channelled her protective spell, ensuring her guard remained around her friend before focusing on the witch.

Natsumi smiled, confident, assured, as she descended to ground level. The moment her feet touched base, her face contorted with a mixture of hate and determination.

Zee could sense the witch's power escalating, her skin prickling from her opponent's surge of energy. But from deep within, Zee's thaumaturgy rose to the challenge, as if lured, enticed, by the Asian witch's threat. Her body felt like it was victim to an inner fire, its heat rising, rapid, and ready to combust. She felt more powerful than ever she had, as if her full potential was about to be unleashed. Magic leaked from her fingers, snaking around her arms, like a living, breathing entity. 

The dry dirt around Natsumi stirred, whipped up in a frenzy as her magic formulated. Her hair rode the currents, ebony tendrils, lashing out in the air.

The scenes upon the kimono continued; spirits rose from the hem, regurgitated, spewed to their relevant portals where their esoteric images took root, preparing to become substantial, whole once more.

Dancing miniature tornadoes formed, and with a yell and jabbing of her hands, the witch launched the destructive elements towards Zee.

The tuxedoed female felt the pull of the winds, but she was ready for the onslaught. Raising her hands, with fingers formed like claws, she thrust forward her counterattack - a tsunami of azure force which dispersed the elemental funnels and pushed the witch backwards.

Momentarily stunned by Zee's defensive measures, Natsumi quickly gathered her thoughts and whirling around, cast another assault; this time in the form of a direct bolt of energy.

Zee dodged and hurled her response. Her stream of magic flared, dazzling, sizzling, and it contained Natsumi for a few moments before the witch broke free using a beam to sever Zee's sortilege.

Magical attacks continued between the two wielders, an array of flashing silver, azure, and amethyst, the barrage like a wild fireworks display. Spells caused significant damage to the surrounding flora, shrubs, trees and bushes left burnt, flattened or frozen, depending on the nature of the magic used. Some blasts hit their intended target too, both conjurers squealing out as flesh was seared or sliced.

In front of the portals, Jim faced the first of the encroaching armies, a consortium of ancient and modern soldiers. The leading wave was coming over the threshold; their forms consolidating as they crossed into the realm of the living.

At first, Jim resorted to boxing, striking those who neared, jabbing and lashing out. Some staggered, stunned, more from the use of ludicrous hand-to-hand combat than from the power behind the punches. But, the numbers multiplied rapidly, and Jim's efforts did not thwart their advance. He was about to be overwhelmed.