Stick to the Plan

"He carries that gold fish about with him everywhere!" Sirius said, shaking his head as the Marauders left Potions class later that week. Lily smiled quietly, hugging her book to her chest and keeping her eyes steadily focused downward. "Who the bloody hell names a gold fish Francis?"

"I feel like you would, actually," Remus answered.

"Like hell!" Sirius argued, but he grinned as he did.

The lot of them climbed the dungeon stairs and emerged into the entrance hall, where a great many people were crowded about, waiting to go into the Great Hall for lunch. Sirius leaned against the wall by the staircase and the others stood around him in a cluster, waiting as well. Peter came over, pushing his way through the crowds of students all around, "Hullo," he greeted them.

"Peter my love," Sirius said dramatically, and Peter looked confused. "Have you any licorice wands stowed away there? I'm famished and may dwindle away to absolutely nothing if I don't eat this very moment."

Peter started fishing through his bookbag eagerly.

It seemed lately that only James was still bothered by the on-going question of the precious seconds stored on the pocket watch, really. The others were mostly over the whole question of what Greyback had been up to in the woods that night, and what Mr. Frek's blood stained scarf had been out there for. Even Regulus hadn't ever returned to them with any further questions or information, and James figured it had fallen away from Regulus's concerns as much as it had done with the other Marauders. Even Lily hesitated to talk too much about the whole ordeal, usually hastily changing the topic whenever James brought up the continual attacks from Voldemort and the curious involvement of Mopsus. Even Sirius was fine now that he knew precisely where the watch was at all times, and he developed a habit of leaning against the wall and slipping his fingers into the tiny pocket in his vest to check for it, smiling benignly.

Which is exactly what he was doing that very moment as Peter hunted for the licorice wand.

But James was still on edge, waiting for the proverbial "other shoe to drop". He was certain it would come. It was only a matter of time before whatever was stewing would show its face, and he wanted to be prepared more than anything else in the world. He'd been having dreams lately, dreams of fighting and protecting, of having to outsmart and out magic wizards and witches far better than he was...

The doors of the Great Hall opened and the students milling around outside went in for their lunch, more barreling in from upstairs. Sirius sprinted off just as Peter unearthed a licorice wand from his bag, only to find the recipient had departed. Remus, James, Lily and Peter followed after Sirius and joined him at the Gryffindor table, where he was already piling sandwiches onto his plate.

James absently took a couple bacon sandwiches and sat staring toward the teachers' table at the head of the room, spotting Frek immediately. He was talking with Slughorn, who had just waddled into the Hall, carrying the small round fishbowl that housed Francis with him. Frek didn't seem a bit injured, and was actually quite animated as he talked, ate, and laughed with other members of staff.

"You're awfully quiet today," Lily said, nudging James out of the depths of thought.

"Hm? What?" his eyes refocused on her.

"Are you alright? You're very quiet is all."

James nodded.

Lily hesitated, then nodded, and looked down at James's plate. "You've barely eaten."

He quickly took a large bite of his sandwich to appease her.

After lunch, James hung back talking to a second year Hufflepuff boy, feigning at having Headboy duties to take care of and telling the others that he would catch up to them when he was finished. Lily looked concerned, but Sirius happily looped his arms about her and Remus and Lily left along with them and Peter. The moment they were gone, James excused himself from the Hufflepuff boy and hurried upstairs to the Defense Against the Dark Arts room. He hesitated for a moment in the hall, looking about to be sure the corridor was empty, and then he pushed his way into the room.