Seven

“Life is so much more beautiful and complex than a number on a scale.” – Tess Munster.

*

“OH MY GOD!” Avery exclaimed.
“Are you okay?” She asked, concern written all over her features.

I looked at my shirt and saw chocolate milk dripping down it. My gaze shifted to the box now on the floor. I tried to wipe the little on my face off. Of course, I wasn’t okay. How could I possibly feel okay after this? Why did I think nothing bad would happen? I should have known something like this would happen. Luck wasn’t on my side. It has never really been. I just wanted a chance to try this thing called friendship with Avery but I guessed my chances had been ruined.

Even if she initially genuinely wanted to be my friend, I was sure this would scare her away. I looked forward and Brittany and her crew were on the way and it looked like they were heading toward our table.

I was so embarrassed already and the thought of Avery witnessing whatever they’d cooked up made me feel even worse. I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. So, I grabbed my stuff and hurried out. I was more mortified that she witnessed all this than anything else. I didn’t even stop by my locker to get an extra shirt, I just raced to the bathroom, hoping that no one would be there. Luckily for me, no one was. I stood before the mirror that was above the sink and stared at myself. My blue shirt had brown stains on it from the chocolate milk. I pulled my brown hair into a messy bun and washed my face. I wished I could wash off the embarrassment and humiliation the same way. I let out a frustrated sigh, I didn’t think I could ever get used to this.

The bathroom door opened and I was about to run into hiding in one of the stalls but it was Avery.
“Hey, Maisie. I’m so sorry,” she apologized.

“It’s not your fault.” I sighed, turning to face her. A wave of embarrassment hit me and I felt like I had to apologize to her for having to witness that.

“I know but I feel really bad. If I hadn’t invited you to lunch, this wouldn’t have happened.”

I tilted my head. “Did you throw the box of milk at me?”

She gave me a look. “Obviously not.”

“Did you ask them to do it?”

“No, I didn’t.” She looked confused, she didn’t know where I was going with all this.

“Did you laugh at me?”

“Why would I?”

“Then there’s no reason for you to feel bad about anything.” It would have probably happened one way or the other.

“I’m sorry.”

“Stop apologizing.” She reluctantly nodded.

“Can you do me a favour?”

“Sure, what is it?”

“I have an extra shirt in my locker. Can you help me get it?”

“Of course. I’ll be right back.” She headed for the door, but then stopped because she remembered something. “What’s your combo?”

I told her and she left while I tried to clean the stain on my shirt with water. When she returned with it, I thanked her and got changed in one of the stalls.

I had been wondering so I decided to ask. “Did the Bs talk to you?”

“The Bs?”

“Yes, three girls. They were walking towards our table when I left the cafeteria.”