Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

“Stop trying to fix your body. It was never broken.” – Eve Ensler.

WHEN I CALLED my mom to inform her not to bother to pick me up because I was going to hang out with a friend, she couldn’t hide her surprise.

“Wow. This is new.” I could hear the smile in her voice. “You have no idea how happy I am about this. Go ahead. Have fun, honey and stay as long as you want to.”

“Okay, mom. See you later.”

She even offered to pick me up when we’re done but I told her not to worry, that I’d find my way home.

“Boo!”

I jumped away from the sound like a startled rabbit and someone laughed. I narrowed my eyes at Avery, not at all amused by her laughing at my expense.

“It isn’t funny,” I deadpanned.

“I didn’t mean to startle you that much. But it was hilarious either way,”

“I’m starting to think that you like teasing me.”

She stopped laughing, and put her left hand to her chin, as if thinking about something.  Then she shrugged, grinning. “I guess I do.”

I shook my head a little, smiling.

“You ready?”

“Yes, I am. I’ve told my mom. Has Alex gone home?”

A smirk slowly appeared on her face while she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. “Maisie… Maisie.”

“What?”

“Nothing.” She bit her bottom lip, trying to bite back a smile.

“He is either in the library or around here somewhere. He’ll wait till we’re done and we’ll go home together.”

“Why?”

“He’s my Chauffeur. Let’s go.”

I closed my locker and we both headed out of school. When we walked into Rainbow Café, Avery led me to an empty table. She pulled out a chair for me and gestured to it dramatically with a bow. “Milady.”

“Why thank you.” I sat down, playing along. We laughed.

“I’m so glad you agreed to come.” Avery commented as she sat down in front of me. “So, what would you like? My treat.”

I shook my head. “You don’t need to pay for me.”

“I insist, Mai.” She smiled. “Now, what would you like to order?” She looked at the menu on the blackboard and started to list the items on it.

“Coffee? Smoothie? Milkshake—”

“A vanilla shake.”

“Okay. What about something to eat?”

“The vanilla shake is okay. Thanks.”

She smiled and left to place our orders at the counter. I watched her go and realised that I wasn’t the only one paying attention to her. Some people were obviously checking her out and some girls looked like they would burn holes in her head with the way they were glaring at her. It’s one of the downsides of being so beautiful, I guess.
She waited at the counter as they got our order ready and I thought about how she had shortened my name when she talked. I didn’t realise we were on nickname basis. It felt good when she called me that.

“Here you go.” She returned shortly after and placed my vanilla shake in front of me. She ordered a croissant and a smoothie for herself.

“Thanks.”