Chapter Fifteen (Machine)

xX0Xx

"That's exactly why you need to be in the emergency room, right now," Connor said, taking a step back. He fiddled with his tie until the knot came undone, before handing it to her.

She looked down at her hand, her nose still dripping, before looking back up at him.

"What's this for?"

"It's to stop your bleeding nose."

"Oh... Right," she said simply before complying, placing the cloth under her nose.

In front of her, Connor's eyes twitched and his LED glowed yellow for a moment before returning to its signature blue.

"I informed Hank, he'll be meeting up with us at the hospital and I've found your car through your phone's GPS system. Let's go," he said, beginning to walk over to the roof deck's entrance before noticing Y/n's fallen gun and picking it up then pocketing it.

Taking a few more steps, he went to open the door before realizing that Y/n didn't move. She stood still, swaying slightly with her hand still holding the beanie up to her nose.

"Y/n, did you hear what I said?"

"Hm?"

"Are you able to walk on your own?"

"I... Can you repeat what you said?" she asked, her eyebrows forming into a scrunched position as her head tilted to the side.

Taking initiative, Connor walked back towards her then kneeled down in front of her, his back towards her, "come on, I'll carry you."

"Why?"

"Because your concussion is causing you to become disoriented, meaning the quicker we get you to an ER, the less you have to worry about permanent brain damage."

Connor didn't hear any indication of movement from the woman behind him, but when he was about to glance back to check her, she stepped into his looped arms, and wrapped her arms around his shoulder, adjusting for a moment to place the tie back to her nose.

Walking while carrying Y/n on his back didn't pose a challenge at all. Although it was expected, it still surprised Connor how trusting she was of him despite all the events that occurred that, and the previous evening.

Reaching the ground floor, he carefully opened the same emergency exit door both he and Y/n had entered a few minutes earlier.

Scanning the perimeter for any military personnel, Connor took note of the small group of soldiers nearby before walking out of the building and heading in the opposite direction.

The snow crunched under him as he walked through the desolate streets, the sensations of electricity crawling up his limbs mimicked the feeling of frostbite. But that didn't matter.

It had been strange, to say the least. He originally just wanted to talk to Y/n in hopes of resolving whatever conflict or misunderstanding they had when they last saw each other in Jericho, and he had been expecting her to be upset with him, but ending up having to fight her was something unprecedented.

Having to hold her like this made him feel foolish to think that he had felt betrayed when she had been right the entire time. In his desire to keep being with her, he had chosen the path that would have permanently separated them.

Had it not been for Y/n's conviction to stop him and help his people, he would have already committed a terrible and irreversible mistake.

He was sure that, because of what had happened, she would be more hesitant around him and would be on her guard even though she was injured, but seeing her lean on him like this and entrust her safety to him, who had been the cause of her current state, was something mind-boggling.