Fifteen Minutes

Clair Tanner's jaw nearly dropped when she saw the building that was a house come into view as they drove up to it. She'd never seen anything like this in her life. Even the picture she'd been shown by Michael, their guide, didn't do it justice. She was eager to draw it. This would be amazing for the architectural series she was doing. It looked like a mansion right off the cover of a European magazine. The old style of it was amazing. The place had to be worth double digit millions.

Clair was an international student studying in Italy. Her major was in the arts. Her favorite subject ever since she could remember. She liked charcoal medium over paint or acrylics. She was amazing at architectural drawings along with drawing living objects. If she could get this series finished it would really help her with the gallery spot she was paying for. She didn't really listen as their guide told them about the building already planning and preparing. However she brought herself around to make sure she noted the history. What was art with out a back story?

Apparently it was a mystery as to who originally built the place. There were over one hundred rooms, and a garden area both in front and on the left side of the house. It was built into the side of the mountain. The front portion sticking out and the left side had a wing that swung out toward the road. Honestly she didn't even know where they were. The drive was rather fuzzy now that she tried to think about, but she'd been daydreaming most the time. Still she did notice an odd kind of pressure in her head that she didn't like.

This place was very far out of the way. There hadn't been any other signs near here that anyone even lived remotely close. Clair's attention was caught by the building again, as the sun glinted off of it to her eyes. Like the place was watching them. There were huge windows in the front that faced the drive and mountain area. 

The grounds were immaculate and the house itself was a brownish red with white pillars and trim. It was beautiful and yet Claire felt a sadness there. She was sensitive for a human, but never really indulged the talents. Others would call her crazy or a freak, but she couldn't ignore the sensations coming to her now as they got closer to the house. Something didn't seem right.

The front drive came up and under an overhang supported by four large pillars. Different pillars went around the building as well with intricately carved designs in them. As they pulled up to stop, Clair's smile faded. She didn't like the feel of the place. It felt wrong, it felt oppressive. They were slowing to park the large van. Their little tour group chatting. Laura, her roommate, turned and smiled at her. She was a photography student at the same school, she took a picture of Clair. 

"See and you were worried this wouldn't be what you wanted. You're glowing." She moved with her now that they were out. However the pit of her stomach was starting to churn and her happiness driving up was fading a bit. 

"It's beautiful." She kept her feelings to herself. Clair wasn't exactly normal and to tell others that she got vibes, or knew what those around her felt didn't get her far. Nor did the fact that she could move things with her mind. She kept that secret tightly guarded and would tell no one. One time she'd shared and had nearly been checked into a psyche ward. Never again. Laura turned around with a smile and Clair looked back out the window as they pulled to a stop.

She knew one thing for sure, that once they were allowed to look around she was finding a quiet spot alone. She didn't much care for the company of others and Laura would just ruin her concentration. They weren't all that close just friends really because they lived together. She also shook off her nerves. Maybe the place was just haunted or something. That made her smile, if only she knew the truth. That they were being watched by something far more sinister than a ghost.

Their guide was going on about the ballroom that was here and a few other things. Clair decided that she would visit that room first. She loved to dance, loved music and could just picture what this room would look like. It was better to just focus on what she was here to do. They were allowed a self tour, so she figured the inside was like a museum and set up accordingly.