Something Wicked This Way Comes

Clair rounded the corner behind Laura. They were running to get away fast, they just got out of that room. Clair couldn't believe that she just sat there and watched them fence. Isaiah moved smoothly, and everything about him said predator. She didn't trust that what he said was fact. He was just toying with them.

 "One of those things is coming!" James shouted and sprinted past them down a different hall. He did not follow them and clearly didn't think safety in numbers. The man that had forced them to watch was something else. He looked stoic most the time but there was amusement there as well. He could have just killed them, but he hadn't. That was the scarier thing. Death was not the worst punishment, torture was in her opinion.

Laura and her were moving down the hall they had chosen and the doors were all locked here. The needed to get out of view before that creature showed. Laura was ahead by several feet and found one that was open, she shoved it open but slammed it close on Clair nearly hitting her in the face. Clair hit the door with the palm of her hand but knew it was foolish to stop, she was not going to fight with the door. She hoped that she never met that bitch again, she'd stab her for locking her out in the hall. She was locking her out here like a sacrifice.

Clair was looking around as she jogged and saw a chute not far ahead, she hoped to god it wasn't an incinerator or something. The sound of that thing running down the hall toward her made her move faster. She could hear it's claws as it came around the corner but she didn't look. She grabbed the edge of what she hoped was a huge laundry chute, and swung herself into it and started to slide down. 

She used her hands and her feet to stop her from going all the way down. Her hands were on either side of the metal as were her feet. Which hurt and pulled skin from her hands as she went down, the sound of skin squeaking on metal was audible. Her shoes slipped quite a bit, but she strained her muscles so she didn't go sailing down the chute and free fall to god knew where. At this point she wouldn't be surprised if there was a pit of spike below.

There was a loud growl above her and she looked up, the thing had managed to shove it's head in but she was to far down to reach. It pulled out of the chute but she could still feel it there waiting, she couldn't hang here forever and either A she went down, or B she went up. The thing knew it too, and so she knew up was not an option.

Clair looked down and could see a bit of light not far below, she figured that it had to be an opening of some kind. She also hoped that it ended as well there, hard to tell it wasn't far. She pressed her back to the wall because she needed a better hold. She kicked her shoes off which was hard but she managed to jiggle them off.  She slipped a little but her bare feet gave her more traction than shoes on the metal wall. Plus she was in a house now, no outside running.

She carefully repositioned the pack she had on, it was just a small bag. Her art case was long forgotten back in the dining room. She wasn't going back their for it, and it was the last thing on her mind. With a rough breath she started her way down the chute. She was just above a large grate and used her mind to open it. For once she was glad to be a freak, but she was careful too, she kept it small in case something could feel it. It hurt her head a bit, since she was so used to hiding and pretending like she didn't have talents.

The grate dropped into the room and she went down falling out and into the room on her back as she shimmied down to it. Why hadn't she thought of that with the doors? She should have mentally opened them, however she didn't practice.  Second she was so panicked, and she never used the skill much however it was clear she was going to need it. It might give her an edge, and something she'd keep secret. It was freakish to the rest of the world right? In here it might now put a different price on her head. 

A gun came in her face. She froze looking up at the middle aged man who was in decent shape, he eyed her. His brown eyes harsh and clearly not all that friendly. She held her hands up looking up from the floor.