Tranquility: Part 8

"Good afternoon, Mr. Parker, we apologize for taking you out of class, but as you know, we are doing this with everyone who was absent from classes after the incident," across from Peter sat his principal, and in the corner stood two men, both in suits. Peter silently replayed the story he and Lena had developed that morning, filling the time with a deep inhale.

"Yeah, of course, Mr. Morita," he curled in his lips, smiling without his eyes. He had to make a conscious effort to not clench his teeth. It was odd how he could fight crime, but a scenario like this had him more nervous than he cared to admit.

"Were you in the cafeteria during the incident?" Mr. Morita was reading the questions off of a piece of paper sitting in front of him. These questions were not developed by the school, and everyone was being asked the same thing. Peter flicked his eyes back to his Principal's.

"Mr. Stark needed his niece and me to come back to the Avenger's compound upstate, he had his driver come pick us up right before our lunch period."

"Oh!" Mr. Morita looked pleased, "So the two of you were not present?"

"We will need to see the record of them being signed out of school as well as parental confirmation that this is the case," one of the suited men spoke up.

Peter's heart rate picked up, but he continued on, "You won't find it," their heads snapped to him, and he realized how suspicious that sounded, "Because Mr. Stark said it was urgent, and that he would take care of it later."

"Is that her father?" the other man spoke up.

"No. Her uncle. Legal guardian. You know...Tony Stark?" Peter was surprised that they hadn't pieced this together yet. It wasn't breaking news that Lena went to Midtown.

The men were trying to mask their shock, but Peter saw one of their eyebrows twitch. Whoever these men were, they weren't keeping their composure very well, but Peter knew how to work those in authority. He interacted with them as Spider-Man almost every time there was crime to fight. They were usually unappreciative of him and Lena's work, so their exchanges were routinely snarky comments and getting out of their way.

"Lena Potts is Tony Stark's niece and one of our most distinguished students," Mr. Morita finally took control of the conversation, "Okay, so yourself and Miss Potts left at approximately..."

"11:45," Peter finished for him.

"And what do you know of the incident?"

"All I know is what my friend Ned told me and what I've seen on the news. The guy that Spider-Man and the Siren fought the other day broke and entered into the school, scared a bunch of kids, and then the two superheroes showed up and led him to the football field. Iron Man then came I think and the guy surrendered," he kept his language casual, not using the technicalities that he was used to going into detail with.

"That would be correct. Do you have any suspicions as to why he might have targeted the school?"

Peter did. Somehow, whoever this guy worked for had caught wind of where he or Lena went to school. It was no coincidence that less than 24 hours later, the man that had been demanding for them to brawl him had attacked Midtown Tech. Mr. Stark had to be starting an investigation, but he hadn't heard from him since their argument on the football field. Naturally, he lied to his principal.

"No. I'm not really a...fan of getting involved in all that stuff."

"Aren't you Tony Stark's intern? Wouldn't that provide some sort of...curiosity?"

Peter inhaled, "I guess it should...but I'm a computer science intern...I just do tech stuff. Not crime fighting," he smiled halfway again, hoping his lies were buyable. He wasn't the best actor, and he hated lying, but it came with the job.