Tranquility: Part 16

Peter

Peter's arms were surrounding Lena, her head resting on the space between his head and his shoulder, sitting on her bed with her in his lap. He couldn't count how many times they had watched this episode of Planet Earth, it was to a point where he could hear her reciting it in her mind, practically word for word. To her it was like she was back there, fully immersed in the deep ocean, surrounded by the creatures she used to consider friends.

"The sharks are not as menacing as you might think," she was barely speaking above a whisper, as if talking too loud would scare the on-screen sharks away, "they saw us as predators, but they saw me as their equal. They knew something was different about me."

He placed a small kiss in her hair, taking a moment to enjoy the precious moments that he had with her. So many of their days were spent fighting street crime that it was becoming rare to spend time on their own, enjoying the feeling of togetherness. She shifted in his arms, sinking deeper into him, only half of her face focused on the projection. He felt her inhale against his chest, his arms raising with the breath.

"You smell like laundry detergent."

It was a funny statement, and Peter chuckled, "Well, I'm glad I don't smell bad."

"I am learning to identify human scents. Laundry detergent, candles, gasoline. It is all very interesting."

He handn't thought about that. So many things he had grown up getting used to were all brand new to her, from the ability to walk to the scent of laundry detergent. One day she would be fully there, and it was probably a ways away, but for now, Peter was already too proud of the progress she had made to dwell on that.

...

"Class, as you know it is growing close to the end of the school year, and I still have yet to fulfill my requirement for a field trip. Don't get too excited- it's nothing you haven't seen before," Mr. Ellis was sitting on his desk, looking slightly exhausted by the year he had put behind him. It had been an interesting year in American Politics, from the recent election to Mr. Stark's deal with the sirens. Peter could tell that this field trip was only to check a box.

"We're going to MOMA, and I know you all have been there, but we're going, and you can write a short reflection. Mainly, I just want a day off to look at the art, but you didn't hear that from me. I will deny all allegations."

Lena looked at Peter from her desk, What is MOMA?

Museum of Modern Art, I think you'll like it.

MJ in particular looked excited. Art was one of the classes she excelled at. She had been recognized by the school with numerous awards for her gifts, and putting her in any sort of artistic setting was like putting a kid in a candy store.

As Mr. Ellis dragged on, Peter couldn't help but to let his eyes and mind wander, patiently waiting for the remainder of the school day to end. Prom was on Saturday, and it was the first time Peter had felt genuine excitement for a school dance. Sure, he had felt similar anticipation for the homecoming dance with Liz, but that had ended in disaster. It wasn't his fault that Mr. Tooms had ruined both of their experiences.

He had tried to coax a picture of Lena's dress out of both her and Pepper, but they had both kept it strictly to each other, and when he had searched her memories, she had put up a heavy block, insistent that it remain a surprise.

His pencil tapped against his notebook until the final bell rang, where every student bounded out of their seats. The only thing on anyone's minds was prom, including Peter's and Lena's. Leaning against the locker next to Lena's, he listened to her enthusiastic chatter with MJ about the weekend.