Target Practice

The weight of the bow felt so familiar in my hands. The flex of the wood against my palm brought back old memories. Many of them bad, but a few good. I mused to myself as I released the string.

The arrow flew and hit the target with a thud.

Locke whistled as he looked at the target.

"When's the last time you handled a bow?" He asked, picking an arrow up from the wooden table full of them.

"My last fight," I said simply.

"It's been three years, and you're still hitting bullseyes." My brother shook his head and replaced where I had been standing. I watched as he took a steadying breath, focused, and released the string.

His arrow struck centimeters from mine.

"Someone's been practicing," I muttered.

"Hmm, sorry? What's that?" Locke cupped his ear for emphasis. "Did the great Acer just compliment me?"

I swiftly reached my brother and dug my right hand into his ribs, making him jump back and yell.

"Alright fine." He backed up and rubbed his side. "Ouch. You know you can be really mean some days."

"Call me that again and I'll stab your kidneys." I turned to the table and picked up a throwing ax.

Locke eyed the weapon I had picked up, figuring I meant I'd stab him with an ax. I made no move to correct him though.

I stepped up to the line and brought my arm over my head. Aiming the ax a few times, I lined up my throw. With a sharp intake of my breath, I threw the ax perfectly into the center of the target, splitting my arrow in half.

Locke scoffed, not believing it'd been three years since I've practiced most of my fighting skills. In the woods, I just needed my basic stab and decapitate. Nothing fancy.

It was refreshing to see that my skills hadn't faded over the years.

"About the Prince," Locke smirked at me as I made a noise of disgust. "I need to warn you-"

"The King already warned me." I crossed my arms.

"No, he didn't." Locke shook his head. "He told me what he told you."

"What are you two? Besties?" I asked.

"Not the point," Locke said. "The Prince, he's on a mission while he's here." I made to talk, but Locke cut me off. "He's not just here for his coronation." Why is he here then? "The Prince believes that to properly show the people that he deserves to be their King someday that he needs to fight the.." Locke roughly gestured, confusing me.

"Spit it out." I glared.

"The Prince thinks he needs to defeat the Acer in the ring to show the people that he has what it takes to lead them in the future," Locke said quickly.

Oh shoot, I'm the Acer. I realized.

"He wants to fight me?" I asked.

"Well, he doesn't know who the Acer is. And much like many folks, he believes the Acer is a man." Locke said while rubbing the back of his neck, awkwardly.

"I see." I nodded. I can't even count how many people who cockily claimed that they could defeat the Acer, only to never find them because they were looking for him.

Only the highest of nobles in the territories know the true identity of the Acer, mostly because they were invited to the fights and then sworn to secrecy to preserve the integrity of said fights. I wonder why the King has kept my identity from his son?