The Third Battle

After another week of training and mentally preparing for my third and final battle, it was finally time.

Sand crunched underneath my boots as I strode into the arena. The crowd cheering and chanting either for me or against me, I couldn't care less. My focus was on the huge wooden door opposite of me, where my opponent or opponents would come out of.

I registered the announcer who was, for the third time, announcing me to the crowd. I took the time to look up at the King's box. Ignoring my father who tried desperately to catch my eyes, I looked to his right where my brother, Soren, and Rorek sat.

Soren caught my eyes first and he gave me a respectful nod along with a small smile, which was a lot coming from him. Next, I looked to my mate, who had never left my side all week and offered me the physical and emotional support I didn't realize I would need. Even from quite a distance, I could see the pride shining in his purple eyes. My chest panged at our distance.

For what felt like the millionth time, I found myself wondering what I had done to serve him. His kind and caring side surprised me, but he also managed to keep me in line, which was definitely something I need. Despite our sleeping arrangements and constant interaction, he had expressed that he would never pressure me to do anything I didn't want. To which I was grateful, because, despite no one knowing about what had happened to me several times while I was completing my one hundred fights, I was unsure if I was ready for us to move forward just yet. He was truly amazing and I was so grateful for him.

Finally, my eyes looked to Locke, who had one of the King's guards whispering in his ear. It was hard to make out, but I didn't miss the widening of his eyes and the flash of panic that took over his features. That can't be good. I mused to myself, dreading whatever had caused my brother to react how he did.

Whatever it was, I had a feeling it had to do with me and my fight. Locke must've noticed that I was looking because he suddenly schooled his features and offered a fake-reassuring smile.

I squinted my eyes at my brother in an accusative glare, before dragging my attention to the arena door that my opponent would come out of.

Taking a few steadying breathes, I felt as I centered myself. Blocking out the stares and hollers, blocking out all outside influence, I let the sand beneath me become my rock, my center.

The swords on my back became a comforting weight, the daggers hidden all over my body pressed into my skin, alerting me of their presence, and the bow strung across my shoulder felt as if it was an extension of my limbs.

I could hear the announcer start speaking again as they introduced my opponent, though the door to the arena remained closed. Until it wasn't. As if it was all an illusion, the door, walls of the arena, and the presence of the crowd disappeared.

The only thing steadying me was the sand beneath my feet, which was no longer sand. Instead, hard dirt replaced it. Tall trees surrounded me, towering over me and causing a familiar feeling to bubble in my chest. A familiar feeling that I failed to realize signified magic.

The Black Forest.

"So ancient," A young and bored voice came from all directions, surrounding me like the trees. "and boring."

Movement drew my focus to my right, but after further inspection, I could see nothing. Sounds threatened to drag my attention all around me, as I felt like someone was running circles around me and working to distract me.

Finally, whatever was distracting me stopped moving. A dark and familiar figure stood between two trees. My eyes traced the feminine curves and watched as they brought their hands up to remove their hood.