Night Visits

I made it back to my quarters and was relieved to see that Harper was showing Locke her cartwheels and not freaking out in a corner.

"Time for bed." I smiled at Harper. "Say goodnight to Locke."

Harper turned to Locke and I could see the internal battle inside her. She really wanted to hug him.

But, not quite that comfortable yet, Harper just mumbled a goodnight before scurrying off to her room. I followed her, waiting until she was under her covers before I turned off the lights.

"Goodnight Harper."

"Goodnight Ivy." Harper smiled at me before she covered herself with the huge white comforter and rolled over.

I shut her door and turned to find Locke staring, mouth agape.

"What?" I asked my shocked brother.

"I have captains and soldiers that complain about their teenagers not going to bed when told... Let alone a ten-year-old." Locke explained.

I chuckled and rubbed the back of my neck. "It's insane. She's such an easy keeper."

Locke watched as I made to leave the quarters. "Where are you going?" He asked as he got up and made to follow me.

"I need to go check on my boy." I offered a vague answer.

"Oh great." I heard my brother mutter sarcastically. "More people I have to meet."

Locke silently followed beside me, thankfully, as I was listening intently for signs of the Prince's nosy self.

Once we were out of the castle, I was able to relax a bit knowing that he wasn't hiding in the rafters above us.

"So the Prince?" I suddenly broke the silence between Locke and me.

"What about him?" Locke quirked an eyebrow at me as a smirk pulled at his lips.

"How well do you know him?" I asked.

"We've spoken a couple of times. The first time was after a council meeting in which he was introduced to most of the King's advisers." Locke shrugged. "Why?"

"No reason." I tried to play it off, but my brother knew me better than that.

"Spill. What happened?" My brother started walking backwards in front of me as he spoke. "Did you see him while you were in the kitchen?" His questions made me scoff.

"I didn't see him in the kitchen. The bastard is sneaky. But," I watched as my brother's eyes widened. "I did see him in the library."

"The library?" Locke asked as he returned to walking by my side.

I went on to explain the whole thing to Locke, the rafters, the questions, the threat... everything. He listened intently, obviously loving the drama between the Prince and me.

By the time I had finished talking, we were at the stables.

"A barn?" Locke asked as he studied the building and questioned why I brought him here.

"That's exactly what Harper said." I pointed out as I held the door open for him while walking into the stable.

Locke followed me in, still searching for why I brought him here, until he laid his eyes on the final stall in the barn.

Ragnar let out a deep whiny as soon as he saw me, while also pawing at the door of the stall.

"Is that the boy you were talking about," Locke asked as we approached the stall.