CHAPTER 14

'Kaleb, where are we going?' I must have asked the question at least ten times in the past half an hour. After pulling me to his car, Kaleb was basically silent. That didn't change when he pulled onto the side of the road, close to the outskirts of town and dragged me up a trail similar to the one he'd found me on weeks prior.

Once again, he offered me no response, he just turned, an unfamiliar look in his eyes and a smile laced on his face.

With a sigh, I carry on following him, still not knowing where he was taking me but with the view I had of his ass, I couldn't really complain, this guy had buns of steel, I'm not even kidding, as much as I've asked where we're going, what I really wanted to know was how many squats he has to do daily to keep that up.

I bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing out at the thought, boy would he love it if I asked him that.

My head felt fine, which was shocking considering an hour ago I was hit with a ball hard enough to knock me unconscious.

What a weird day.

We'd been walking for about twenty minutes at this point, mostly uphill so my unexercised calves were burning. He didn't seem affected and I couldn't say I was shocked. I've seen Kaleb without a shirt, he is shredded.

Eventually, we come to a clearing, one I found vaguely familiar, I stop in my track, stunned 'Why did you bring me here?' I ask him, still not moving to follow him as he continues walking, 'Kaleb!' I shout, my final resort at gaining his attention.

My attempt was successful. He stops, shakes his head and turns to face me. There's about five metres between us.

'You know, there's this magical thing called being patient, you should try it' He looks at me pointedly, I scowl in response.

'Tell me what we're doing here' I demand, crossing my arms over my chest. The wind had picked up since we left the car, leaving my bare arms with goose bumps. I could punch myself for leaving my jacket in the passenger seat of Kaleb's car.

'We're not staying here' he starts, 'just a little further and I'll explain'

We stand there, challenging each other with our eyes, for a few more minutes before I throw my arms up in surrender, 'Fine.' I agree reluctantly, walking to match his pace.

True to his words, five minutes later, he stops in his tracks.

This was nothing like the area we'd just been in. It was reclused, a circle of grass surrounded by trees. A freakishly perfect circle of grass, actually. Kaleb stares intently at our surroundings, as if prepared for someone to jump out at any moment. He seemed on edge. The air had completely changed as I stood there waiting for him to explain to me what we were doing. Growing impatient, i speak up, pulling him away from whatever thoughts clouded his mind

'Why are we here, Kaleb?' My voice is barely a whisper, as if not to disturb the atmosphere around us.

My brows are furrowed, what is he talking about?

He takes a step closer to me, linking his eyes with mine as he speaks, 'I'm not from here Faith.' I look at him with a weird look, 'I'm from somewhere far away, where everything is different. The Guardians ruled it. They were our lifeline, the highest order of our people. But 12 years ago that changed. Our people became hunted, slaughtered. Out of the Ten Guardian families that watched over our people, 11 years ago, only one remained.'

He stares at me with such intensity that my heart races, 'The Beauregard's were the heroes in every tale and every story. Their names were used in every story of success, every fairy-tale parents told to their children. They were the true heroes of our people. They were the most powerful, the most charming and the most beautiful.' A sad smile makes its way over his face, his entire body seems to relax a little bit with every word. He seems lost in his own mind, turning his face away from mine as he walks away slightly.