CHAPTER 15

'You know, there were better ways for you to tell me you're a freak, Kaleb.' I start, as we go back to his car, 'I mean, you didn't even need to tell me, it's pretty obvious' My joking tone attempted to lighten the atmosphere.

The walk back was completely silent as I processed what he'd thrown at me. Every now and then, he'd look back to make sure I hadn't fallen behind. He didn't press the situation anymore, but still held a wary look in his eyes. Questions ran through my mind in a stream of nonsense, why now? What had changed that had him needing me to know now? Was he even for real? Was somebody going to jump out from behind a tree and yell 'SYKE'?

To no avail, I didn't take his words with a pinch of salt, staying true to my own word that I gave him the benefit of the doubt, no matter how unbelievable his story was.

'You're taking this better than I expected' His eyes were focused on the road ahead, intently staring as asphalt. He spares me no glance as he addresses me with unease.

'Don't let the humour fool you, I'm freaking out inside,' I joke, trying to ease the tension that made its way through his entire body, giving him one last look , I turn my head back to the road, 'I have questions.' I say in a more serious tone.

'I have answers.' He counters with a smile, turning his head to look at me briefly before turning it back.

Five minutes of driving passed and he pulled up into the diner mom had taken me to the first night here.

MARNIES stood as bold as ever on the top of the small building, the sight brings a smile to my face as I remember my first time here. I hadn't spent much time with my mother since then, so the memory felt raw. I was probably going to have to have a talk with her after this. Some of the questions I had, Kaleb couldn't answer. I was willing to bet she could.

'What are we doing here? Is this the entrance to your secret hideout?' I ask, wagging my eyebrows jokingly.

'No' he says in a scoff, 'I'm hungry.'

As we sit down at the booth, a waitress comes and offers us a menu each which we gladly accept. I haven't eaten all day, the best I'd had was an apple as I left the house this morning, I'd woken up late so there was no chance of squeezing in a big breakfast.

My eyes peek over the top of the menu towards Kaleb, who sat opposite me, scanning the menu intently, 'You're staring' He observes, not looking up from the menu.

My cheeks flush as I abruptly look away, not oblivious to the signature smirk he now donned.

The waitress returned with the drinks we'd ordered and took our food order and the menu's away. Kaleb sits back in the booth seat, his arms crossed over his muscular chest and stares at me intently. He was scanning my face, for what? I was oblivious.

He looked completely edible in his skin tight, black V-neck t-shirt and dark blue jeans. He didn't even need to try. His full lips were still pulled into a smirk as he stared at me, I couldn't help but stare back, caught, yet again, in the pull of his intoxicating blue eyes.

I'm the first to speak up as we sat there for a few moments, silently staring at one another. I think I could sit there for days, getting lost in his eyes, oblivious to my surroundings.

'Tell me about it' I cross my arms, leaning forward onto the table in front of me, careful not to knock our untouched drinks, 'Your world, I mean.'

He follows my action, leaning forward onto the table, a newly positioned smile on his face. It's faint but it's there, 'The Fae Realm,' he corrects, 'The universe is made up of ten realms, The Fae Realm being the most prosperous' His lips lift into an even wider smirk, 'It was the centre of everything.'