CHAPTER 18

Pulling into the parking lot, a sort of dread consumes me for the day ahead. Some part of me was convinced that Donovan and Daria would try something but as my eyes searched the crowds more than usual, I noticed that they're missing from their usual crowd.

A rumbling from next to us catches my attention. Kaleb's car pulls into the empty spot next to the passenger side I'd just climbed out of, his own passenger seat is empty and I almost expected Daria to be there, staring me down, as he exited the car.

The warning bell rings before he has the chance to say anything to me, pulling us away to our designated homerooms. He stares at me for a beat, his eyes reading my one, before walking away.

My eyes still wandered, as we walked through the halls, scanning the crowds, until Maia spoke up, reading my quizzical mind, 'They're not here' She states, without looking at me, as we stop outside of our homeroom door.

Finally she looks at me, seeing the wary look on my face, she continues, 'Dad revoked our alliance, cutting off any ties we have with the Sanderson family'

Did that mean Kaleb and Daria were no longer a thing?

As quickly as the question came to mind, I pushed it back. That wasn't important right now.

'Wait, why?' I ask, 'I thought it was important to keep them close or something?'

I hush my voice as we walk in, careful not to catch any attention with my words.

'Some things are more important than an alliance with them.' She states in response.

I look at her for answers, 'Respect.' she continues simply, 'and honor' she continues, 'Advisers tend to have neither, Richard Sanderson, especially. Our priorities have changed.'

I don't question her anymore as we take out seats at the back of the class. The class is quickly silenced by the teacher, who stands at the front ready to make an announcement. He hushes the class once more before starting.

'Some of you might have heard, some of might not have,' He starts, a solemn look overtaking his usually hard one, 'A formal investigation has begun over the disappearance of individuals: Claire Montgomery and Stuart Van Halen. We have not been told if any suspects are being held but police have recommended students to travel in groups where possible, especially at night, while the investigation is underway.'

The class is left in an eerie silence. I look over to Maia as a worried look is etched on her face, a feeling simmers in the pit of my stomach. This couldn't be good.

Leaning into her table, I whisper, 'Do you know something about this?'

Her face is pale, as she turns to me, 'I hope not' Her voice is barely a whisper and that feeling in my stomach intensifies. This was not good.

The bell rings, telling us it was time for the first period. As Maia and I walk out of the class, her face doesn't retain its usual colour, it was beginning to worry me.

'You don't think it could be...' I trail off, not really sure what I'm asking pulling her out of whatever nightmarish thoughts she was stuck in.

'How much has Kaleb told you about us?' She turns abruptly to face me, not sure how much she should tell me.

'Not much, I guess,' I start, 'He told me that the universe was filled with people that want Guardians dead or something'

'Bounty Hunters' SHe confirms, 'Demons really, lower level. Some have the ability to travel through realism but it's very rare that they do it because it usually leaves a trace but they got even a whiff of the possibility that a Beauregard still lived. It would be a witch hunt, Faith, they would care if a trace was left behind.'