CIA

As I walked towards the office, I was already concocting the story that I'll use during the CIA meeting. As Alex came to the office, he straightaway called on my intercom. I didn't know what to expect.

"Are you okay?" His tone was much gentler.

"I guess so." I shrugged

'Wanna tell me 'our love story'?' He asked playfully. I briefed him about the story and he smiled.

"So, CIA today?" He asked me casually.

"How do you even know our gang name?" I was surprised.

"I told you, I know a lot more about you." He smiled. "All the best!"

"Yea! I need that"

As I waited for my friends in the pantry, my mind was in turmoil. What would I tell them? They are my friends. My only friends. Shouldn't I tell them the truth? As I saw them walking towards me, I was hurt. I'm such a bad friend. My eyes welled up and Chris was the first to notice it.

"Amy! What's wrong? Why are you crying?" She was concerned. Ivan heard the dialogue and came rushing.

"Did that bastard Brian do something?" He asked menacingly.

"Guys, will you forgive me if I confess something?" Here it goes.

"Of course sweetheart! What happened?"

"I'm marrying Alex" I blurted. I was expecting to hear a 'Fuck!'. It didn't come. I looked at them and found both of their mouths hanging.

"What do you mean?" Chris's mouth was still open.

I narrated the story for a second time, but this time it came naturally to me, as if I was recounting scenes from movie. Apparently, Chris already 'sensed' that Alex likes me. According to her, why would otherwise, Alex cancel his business meet, come to Purple Lounge and watch me over as a guardian angel? Now, that's a valid question. I would like to know the answer myself.

"When and how did he propose you? Was it romantic?" Chris wanted to know. If only she knew. But the more pressing matter was, what do I answer her now?

"It was romantic but right now, I don't have the time to explain. Let's meet up somewhere this weekend and I'll explain everything." I dodged the question.

"There are other important things too. Is he good in bed?" What! I could kill Chris for asking this. "Don't tell me that you agreed even before knowing whether he could satisfy-" I kicked her before she could complete her sentence. I flushed a deep shade of crimson. 'Damn her!'

I managed to answer most of the questions while dodging the ones I was unsure about. In the end, they believed me! How could they believe me? It was such a stupid improbable story. But then, I was not complaining. Luckily, nothing happened as I suspected. They took the story at the face value, didn't they? As I reached back, my intercom buzzed again and I went to his office again.

"Did you tell them?" He was curious.

"I did. They had some doubts but they want to see me happy." I still couldn't imagine that they believed me.

"Any doubts that you were not able to clarify?" He thinks of everything, doesn't he?

"Yes, a couple – Like how did you propose me?"

"That's a valid question. You might have to answer that to others too. What if we say that I proposed to you in the chamber while you were arranging the lunch? It is true anyways." He smiled.

"What's romantic in it?" I queried.

"Imagine me kneeling and proposing you." He said as he imitated kneeling.

"I can't really imagine that." I laughed.

"Any other questions that caught you off guard?" He wanted to know.

"Nope!" I guess I answered it a tad too early as I recalled the question about him being good in bed. My face was red again and he looked closely. He raised his eyebrow as if asking me 'What?'. I'm so glad he just left it there. Then I remembered Chris's argument.

"Why did you come to Purple Lounge that night?" I asked him

"What?" Was he surprised? He either didn't expect that question or he didn't remember it at all.

"That night – On Chris's birthday. You saved me from Brian but why did you come to the club in the first place?" I queried.

"I came to the club because you casually invited me. But when I reached there, there was a big gang of friends. I didn't want to barge in and break the mood of the party so I just lingered around." He shrugged. "I was planning to leave but that's when Brian took you upstairs."

"Oh!" I never thought he took my invitation seriously.

"Anyway, about today's meeting, were you tempted to tell your friends the truth?" His tone was still calm.

"Oh my God! How do you know that?" I was beyond surprised.

"Because I can see your brain and heart working. In a way it's good coz it means that you don't want to cheat them"

"So, am I not cheating my friends and family in real?"

"If you think emotionally and from one perspective only" It sounded like a corporate mumbo jumbo. "Take a leave tomorrow and pack your bags. Martin will pick you up by evening and bring you to Penthouse.

He was really taking this as a pure business deal. So should I.