Chapter Thirty-Five

The next day flew by in a whirlwind of happiness, an emotion that was, unbeknownst to me, still available in my repertoire of feelings, just buried far enough below the surface of my cognizant mind that I had forgotten that I ever possessed its he...

The next day flew by in a whirlwind of happiness, an emotion that was, unbeknownst to me, still available in my repertoire of feelings, just buried far enough below the surface of my cognizant mind that I had forgotten that I ever possessed its healing capabilities.

Christian was finally going to get what he deserved, and while I had nothing to do with this new development in the justice department, I was still overjoyed nonetheless. I even skipped my therapy appointment since I had skipped the day before as well, the content emotions growing like a benign cancer in my body.

The momentum was hard to stop, and I felt a manic energy growing in my belly that I couldn't tame. I wanted more, the thrill of justice finally being served an addictive drug that I'd never had the taste of before in my life.

Rafael was still out running free, even after what he'd done to Marnie. I wanted to be the one to finally put a stop to him and his wicked games.

It was finally Saturday night and time to go to the club with him on our pseudo date, but he didn't know that it was fake, he just thought that I'd written Emmett and his warnings off.

Rafael probably thought that I was waiting by the phone for his next message like a lovestruck teenager. He had another thing coming if he thought he could get away with his actions with Marnie or even other women, first Christian, then Rafael, and then I'd find a way to get Nate for the physical abuse I'd endured at his hands.

"Lydia? Are you getting ready?"

Amalia popped her head in my bedroom and I noticed how far she'd gone when I told her that she needed to 'dress to the nine's'.

A silver sequined body con dress hugged every curve on her body and her dark hair was pinned back in an elaborate updo consisting of braids and tight curls.

"Wow. When I said to dress up you didn't hold back did you?"

We laughed together as she took in my attire.

"Are you really wearing that?"

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

She gave me her trademark eye roll while entering my room to peruse my limited closet. I was glad that Emmett had invited her even if she didn't know the extent of the plan that we were executing that night. It was nice to have a partner in crime with Emmett and someone to take my mind off of what we were planning, making it seem like any ordinary night.

I scoffed at her first few selections in my closet but finally approved when she pulled out my favorite little black dress that I'd pair with my black strapped heels that I knew I'd regret wearing by the end of the night but they were worth it.

I slipped on the black dress in my closet and loved the way it hugged and accentuated every curve on my body, fitting me like a glove. I was glad I had kept up my running regimen as it had allowed me to maintain a slim figure.