Prologue

Copyright © 2012 by SimpleHumanBeing

Prologue

Estelle Desmand

Grabbing a few locks of my way too curly blonde hair, Beau brought them to his nose and sniffed. "What are you doing?" I looked at him as if he had two heads and pulled away.

Beau gave me one of his lopsided grins, intertwined both of his hands in my hair and kissed my lips. "I've always loved the smell of your hair," he explained as he showered me in kisses. First my forehead, then my eyelids, my cheeks, and finally my lips again. "I want to ingrain the smell into my brain."

"You're so weird." The giggle that escaped my lips surprised me, after all - how could I be laughing at a time like this? Beau seemed to detect the change in my mood and smoothed out the frown that was beginning to form on my face.

"Estelle," he breathed in my ear. I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks a his tone of voice brought back memories of the night before.

"If you keep looking at me like that, I'll never make my flight," he whispered, whatever he was about to say before, long forgotten.

"In that case. . ." I trailed off in a whisper, hoping that my mom and his parents couldn't hear us.

"Don't tempt me Estelle," he warned, however I knew nothing could make him miss his flight. He'd worked too long and hard to mess it up now.

"What does my hair smell like?" I changed the subject, I hadn't known my hair had a particular smell before.

"Lavender and Maple Syrup." He took another whiff as I stared into his eyes. They were so blue that I felt as if I was staring at the sky. I felt cheesy thinking about it, but it was true.

"Are you lost in my eyes?" he asked with a chuckle. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "No? Because, I'm lost in yours." His voice was surprisingly serious, and I for a second I saw the sadness that he'd worked so hard to conceal for the past few months.

"I love you," I whispered, trying to ignore the stinging behind my eyes and the lump in my throat. But it wasn't any use, Beau's sudden emotion got me worked up, and the inevitable tears were beginning to stream down my face.

"I love you too Estelle." He wiped my tears away as one of his own ran down his cheek. "God I love you so much. I wish you could come with me."

Suddenly, I fell back into the real world as I glanced at my mother. She looked ill, unlike the beautiful glowing woman she once was, and I knew I couldn't leave her, she was too sick to take care of herself. Beau looked in her direction and we shared a look of understanding.

"I'm gonna visit you," he told me as he kissed my lips. The kiss was probably the best we'd ever shared, and for a moment, I forgot that we were in an airport full of people, that our parents were less than fifteen feet away and that he was about to leave me for four years.

He put his forehead against mine as his hands rested on my cheeks. "I know," I responded to his earlier statement, sighing slightly. I knew the chances of him coming to visit me weren't high. His dad had to take a mortgage out on their house just to get him on the plane there and pay for normal college expenses.

He'd gotten a full ride scholarship, but it didn't pay for the dorm and everything else he'd need.

"It's your flight honey," Beau's mom interrupted us, giving me a sympathetic smile. Beau's adams apple bobbed as he looked down at me. I stood on my tiptoes and gave him one last kiss.

"Bye," I whispered, as Beau walked away. I honestly didn't know how I was going to live without him. I know it sounded ridiculous, but I hadn't even had to go a day without him in the fifteen years I'd known him.

I spaced out, looking down at the ground, and the next thing I knew Beau turned around as he was walking up to the plane, and gave me a sad, crooked grin that melted my heart, like a piece of chocolate sitting on the pavement on an Alabama summer day.

I sat in the empty airport long after his family left. I was in a haze, every now and then, my eyes would scan over the many rows of blue, plastic chairs with dust coating them. They would linger on the lone employee that sat behind the desk playing a game of solitaire as she smacked her gum. I would put my head in my hands as memories came back to me, and wonder if I made the right choice by letting him go.

"Get your ass up!" I turned to the direction of the voice and was surprised.

"Hey Hope," I said sadly.

"As your best friend, I'm not going to let you sit here all day and wallow in self pity," she chided reaching her hand out to help me up.

I took it reluctantly, and she pulled me to my feet. "I'm going to make you eat so much chocolate, you're not going to able to think about anything other than how much you want to puke," she said as she took my hand and dragged me out of the airport.

"Let's go to Seymour's," she said, as she led me to the little store across the street.

Once were settled in Hope's bed, all the chocolate we'd bought next to us, and a stupid romantic comedy in the VCR, Hope asked, "Why didn't you answer your phone last night?"

My cheeks turned bright red, and I turned my attention to her royal blue wall that was cluttered in pictures of us.

"I was with Beau," I murmured, so quiet I wasn't sure if she heard me.

"But it was like twelve o'clo--" she cut herself off. "Did you guys have sex?" She questioned grinning at me.

"N-no," I lied covering my warm cheeks with my hands.

"You so did!" She exclaimed excitedly. "How was it?"

I hit her with the pink teddy bear that was on her bed and she grabbed it and put it between her crisscrossed legs.

I sat up so I was in the same position as her. "For one, we didn't have sex, we made love, and for two, it's not really any of your business." I said, trying to keep the smile off of my face.

"Oh my god, my eighteen year old best friend isn't a virgin anymore!" She screamed loudly.

"Shut up, somebody might hear you!" I said as I grabbed a pillow and hit her with it.

"Stop abusing me, and answer this question."

"What?"

"Why did you have sex with him, when you knew he was leaving today?"

"I wanted him to have my virginity, if I never see him again, I want to know that I was his first and he was mine." I explained easily, it was something I had been thinking about for months now.

"Oh," Hope said as she pushed play on the remote and the movie began.

______________________________________

[A/N: Please vote and comment! I'd love to know what you thought!]