Chapter Three

My head hurt.

A little bit.

A lot.

I couldn't distinguish between the two. I didn't know what time it was but I knew I had nowhere to be so I laid in bed for a bit longer till the thumping in my head went down. I definitely wasn't made like I was.

I rolled around before I realised something.

I was in bed.

My old childhood bed, how did I get home?

I sat up, it was already hot in the room and I reached over turning on the ceiling fan, oh how I missed air conditioning right now.

I groaned as my whole head thudded.

I struggled out of bed into my attached bathroom turning on the water, it was icy cold but against the humidity in this air, it did wonders. I felt normal after a long shower my hair clung to my body reminding me that I needed to cut it.

Throwing on a loose dress I walked into the kitchen where I could hear voices.

"Oh there is sleeping beauty, do you know what time it is?"

I looked at Andy, already eating what looked like to be rice at the table. The clock behind him showed that it was some time past noon and I couldn't believe that I had slept for so long.

"Did you kids have fun last night?"

"It was okay. Bells was a bit boring, she started going to bed on the ground so I had to bring her home."

"I was just tired." I said defending myself.

"You're just old." he said.

"I am 30," I agreed, nodding my head.

"29...you turn thirty in a few weeks, stop making yourself feel old because then I feel old." Andy said, frowning like a kid. He was far from old, he looked like he was fifteen and freshly hit puberty. But the small five o'clock shadow on his face reminded me of his age, and also how he could never properly grow a full bread.

I reached over to take a vegetable off his plate. Instead of whining like he did when we were younger, he pushed his plate closer to mine.

"Did you want to come help me pick up some stuff from town?" he asked.

"When are you going?"

"After I finish lunch. Just need to get some groceries for dad and stuff."

I nodded, "Sure. I'm not really doing anything here. Do you or dad need help with the house mum?"

My mum was always in the kitchen, she somehow found something to bake, cook or experiment with, the neighbours and town were always gifted goodies from here so I wasn't surprised when she put a container in front of me filled with shortbread biscuits.

"No but can you give this to Jhemila in the town?"

"Who's Jhemila?" I asked.

Andy reached for the container, "Sure. I can. Come on we better go before all the shops close."

Even though we were only a few hours from the main city, the town was pretty traditional with everything closed by three on Sundays. There were a lot of things the country town followed.

I hopped into the car buckling up, Andy had waited till we were too far for me to walk back home to ask me a question that riled me up.

"Have you ever considered breaking up?"