Chapter Five

I was sweating.

The warmth from under the thick blanket woke me up, before the sun had fully risen. I opened my eyes trying to find the source of the warmth that was leaving me sweaty, not expecting to be staring into a chest.

The last thing I expected was to find myself laying on my side with my legs curled up under me, my face leaning against his chest. Nor did I expect the warmth weight around my lower hip to be his hand.

We hadn't shared a bed in so long that the feeling was foregin, and it felt more of an obstruction to my sleep. I felt no comfort.

Judging by the steady rise and fall of his chest, I could tell that he was still asleep. I hesitantly lifted my eyes, just to make sure he was asleep behind those closed eyelids. Even in his sleep there was a frown on that handsome face.

His eyes were shut tightly, framed by long dark eyelashes, but on top of those eyes his eyebrows were frowning, pinched like he was thinking about something.

Probably about work, that was the only thing Jasper could think about these days.

I bet he was having a nightmare about the wrong signature on a contract or perhaps the wrong effective date...the horror.

I wriggled away from him, till I felt his arm drop and turned around to face the other way. I could still feel his arm wrapped around me, the warmth lingering, even when it wasn't. I looked at the clock to see it was five in the morning, the sun should rise soon. I closed my eyes trying to get a few more minutes of sleep, but now I was distracted by his breathing.

He wasn't breathing loud, but in this silence I could hear it. It was quiet, yet for me it felt like it was the only sound I could hear.

There was no way I was going to fall asleep now.

I got up, looking over my shoulder to see him fast asleep. Grabbing fresh clothes I sneaked out of the room to go freshen up.

I was planning to wake up by six anyway, so now I had a bit of time to just relax before I started work on the lavenders again. I had come here to get myself away from him, to use this time as a distraction to the chaos that was our lives.

But now he was here, this was no longer the distraction that I craved.

I poured myself a coffee as I went outside, sitting on the egg chair letting my legs swing as I took a sip of the strong brew. I could see the bright orange and yellow colours across the sky, almost like someone had painted it.

Out here on the farm everything was amazing. The air was fresher, there was no pollution out here, just endless acres of fresh air and beautiful green trees. The water tasted fresher and cleaner, it was like you were drinking straight from a waterfall.

People were more relaxed, there was no rush to do anything or get places. I shuddered thinking of how many things that were not important during the day, that I still had to do back at our mansion. Even cleaning felt like it had to be done against a clock.

Here I could spend all day gardening and I never felt like it was a chore. I sipped some more of my coffee, bending down to tie up my laces when the fly screen opened.

I looked up, surprised to see Andy.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, as I put my coffee cup down. He was the last person I expected to be walking out that door.

"You told me to come remember, to help you with the lavenders, do you want me to go?" he asked.

I had forgotten I had told him a few days ago to help me, but that was before Jasper had come along. Jasper and Andy got along fine, but not as well as I would like them too. They always acted a little bit stiff with each other, but Jasper was like that to everyone.