𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦

┏━━━━━━𖤐━━━━━━┓chapter five:country roads  ┗━━━━━━𖤐━━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━━𖤐━━━━━━┓
chapter five:
country roads
┗━━━━━━𖤐━━━━━━┛

"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

— Book of Revelation 20:10

Marlene poured all of her strength into shutting the door, but the creature had managed to slide a leg through. Marley wasn't strong enough to hold against it, and soon the door flew open again, and she backed as far away from it as possible.

The demon hovered in the entrance, taking a languid look around the small motel room while Marlene was glaring daggers at it, her entire body shaking from fear. The dusts she had made were in the bag — she could run towards it and get them if she was quick, but...

"Hi," the demon greeted. It was a woman, from what Marlene could tell, in her middle twenties, wearing a leather jacket. She looked very petite, too petite to possess such strength. But then again, she wasn't human, "Sorry for the whole tough act. May I plead my case before you try and fail to kill me? Okay, great."

Marley stepped further back when the girl walked inside the room and closed the door. One more nail in the coffin.

"I'm Ruby," the demon introduced herself, "And you must be Marlene?"

"What do you want?"

Ruby's face was contorted with annoyance, "Jesus, why do people always think I have some malicious agenda?"

"You're a demon," Marlene deadpanned.

"Stereotypes are racist," Ruby's eyes fell on the leftover nachos on the table. She popped one into her mouth, the crunch slicing through in the heavy silence, "I'm here to help you."

"How did you find me?"

"Oh, sorry, were you trying to be discreet?" the demon mocked haughtily, "I've been following you since Delaware. You really should've stuck with cash, Marley."

"Don't call me — "

"Look, Lilith is after you and she won't stop until she gets what she wants. And what she wants is to set Lucifer free and deliver you to him on a silver platter, apple in mouth."

"And you don't want that to happen?" Marley asked sceptically, eyes narrowed.

"As a matter of fact, I don't."

She moved a little closer to the bag that was sitting just on the corner of the bed. "And why is that?"

"Because I'm happy with the current state of things. I like stability, you know? Plus, you're not the only one the psycho bitch is after," she dipped another nacho chip in the guacamole and ate it.