𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦

┏━━━━━━𖤐━━━━━━┓chapter twelve:life is better with good friends ┗━━━━━━𖤐━━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━━𖤐━━━━━━┓
chapter twelve:
life is better with good friends
┗━━━━━━𖤐━━━━━━┛

"If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up."

— Ecclesiastes 4:10

"An active search for Marlene Ter-Gabrielyan is currently underway in Galveston, Texas. The police have units discharged to all parts of the city, on the lookout for the main suspect in the murder of Reginald Smoulders, the local fisherman who was found dead yesterday, in the West cargo terminal in Port Industrial.

Miss Ter-Gabrielyan is already wanted in New-Haven in connection to the murder of Theresa Armitage, a 23-year-old student from Yale University. The sheriff of Galveston Police Department Matthew Loyster believes that the two cases are connected. A picture of the suspect was found among the private possessions in the victim's residence, tying Marlene Ter-Gabrielyan to a second murder investigation."

Marlene switched the channel, "...an order for her arrest has been issued this morning. She is being charged with double homicide — "

"Marlene Ter-Gabrielyan will be trialed in New-Haven..."

"Steve, this is unlike anything we've seen in a long time —"

"Two murders, now how did she

"....this girl is the true Devil."

"You're gonna see the true Devil pretty damn soon, you pampered little bitch!" Marlene hurled the remote at the TV, aiming for the anchor's smiley face. Why the hell was she smiling anyway? She was reporting murder, for Christ's sake.

The door opened and Garth strolled in, oblivious to her fit of rage, "Hey, I got us tacos, I wasn't sure — " he stopped, catching on the bad vibes, "What happened?"

"I feel like I'm in Salem and it's witch trials, and I have a weird birthmark," Marlene told him, close to tears. She then paused, noticing something on his head, "Is that a cowboy hat?"

"Howdy,"Garth tipped it with a pleased smile, "D'you like it?"

Marley opened her mouth to answer but then closed it. Better not to piss off the only person who could help her right now. So she nodded and gave him a tight-lipped smile. It seemed enough for Garth.

"I think they're gonna find me soon," she said, "It's just a matter of time before they check this dump." Garth stayed silent, his expression weirdly guilty. As if there was something he wasn't telling her. "What? What else is wrong?"

Garth put the bag with tacos on the table and trudged to the bed, head hung low. He sat down next to Marlene, "So, I've been up and about 'round town," he said with a deep Southern accent that went completely unappreciated, "And, um, also been to the West docks — "