Part 1

I am leaving this up here since I HATE when I read a story on here and then can't find it to find the name/author so I can look for it on Amazon. This is a PREVIEW ONLY. It will be up on Amazon in September.

Copyright 2020 Elizabeth Frerichs

******

Elizabeth Bennet paused as she reached the top of Oakham Mount. No matter how many times she made the climb, she was always struck by the view. Her gaze roved across the trees and fields. Everything seemed brighter, more vibrant, after the rain, and the trees were just beginning to change colors. The fall breeze caressed the curls around her glowing face as she shifted her bonnet so it hung down her back. Eyes still on the view, she walked over to her customary resting place, a large rock, and seated herself.

It had been a trying few days. The rain had kept everyone indoors, without company, and four days of listening to her sisters and mother complain of boredom and the lack of news had left her wild to get out—which was why she had decided to take a longer walk and climb Oakham Mount despite the mud. She took a few deep breaths, letting the stress of the previous days drain away. As she shifted on her rock, something crinkled by her left foot, and she glanced down. A letter lay on the ground. It was slightly muddy, but not wet, so someone must have lost it only that day. She picked it up, examining it curiously. It had been sealed with wax, but the seal had been broken.

Elizabeth scanned the area in case the owner was somewhere nearby; as usual, not a soul was in sight. There was no addressee on the envelope, so she unfolded the letter and began reading. Hopefully, she could discern to whom it belonged and return it to him or her.

The date immediately caught her eye—the letter-writer was obviously confused for it was dated April 10th, 1812, and the current date was September 19, 1811. The letter was addressed from Rosings, a place Elizabeth had never heard of, so she read on.

Be not alarmed, madam, on receiving this letter, by the apprehension of its containing any repetition of those sentiments or renewal of those offers which were last night so disgusting to you. I write without any intention of paining you, or humbling myself, by dwelling on wishes which, for the happiness of both, cannot be too soon forgotten; and the effort which the formation, and the perusal of this letter must occasion should have been spared had not my character required it to be written and read. You must, therefore, pardon the freedom with which I demand your attention; your feelings, I know, will bestow it unwillingly, but I demand it of your justice.

Sentiments and offers? Elizabeth's eyebrows shot up. This was a rather personal letter to leave lying about. Then again, the author had assured the recipient that she need not worry about a repetition of said sentiments and offers, so perhaps it would not be that personal. As there was naught in that paragraph to identify either the writer or the recipient, she continued.

Two offences of a very different nature, and by no means of equal magnitude, you last night laid to my charge. The first-mentioned was that, regardless of the sentiments of either, I had detached Mr. Bingley from your sister; and the other, that I had, in defiance of various claims, in defiance of honour and humanity, ruined the immediate prosperity and blasted the prospects of Mr. Wickham. — Willfully and wantonly to have thrown off the companion of my youth, the acknowledged favourite of my father, a young man who had scarcely any other dependence than on our patronage, and who had been brought up to expect its exertion, would be a depravity, to which the separation of two young persons, whose affection could be the growth of only a few weeks, could bear no comparison. But from the severity of that blame which was last night so liberally bestowed, respecting each circumstance, I shall hope to be in future secured, when the following account of my actions and their motives has been read. If, in the explanation of them, which is due to myself, I am under the necessity of relating feelings which may be offensive to yours, I can only say that I am sorry. The necessity must be obeyed and further apology would be absurd.