Part 2

I don't know how long the chapters will be in general, but I figured I'd give you a long chapter this week so we can hurry up and get to where Elizabeth & Darcy meet!

And, as always, thank you so much to my betas, Dawn & Sara, who have done RIDICULOUS amounts of work on this story over the past many months!

Please let me know if you find any errors. I am not a Regency expert, so I often make language and culture errors without even realizing I've done so. Or y'know, errors that come from having multiple edits that I'm squishing together ;)

Copyright 2020 Elizabeth Frerichs

******

Over the next weeks, Elizabeth grew to hate the name "Bingley." Her mother never missed an opportunity to pester her father about the man, and her two youngest sisters added their own entreaties to Mrs. Bennet's. If it was up to her, she'd be tempted to do the opposite of what they wanted out of spite. But, fortunately for them, her father was likely to do whatever he wished to do regardless of anyone else's suggestions, and she was fairly certain he had already decided to call on Mr. Bingley. If there was one thing that would draw him out of his library, it was an opportunity for amusement, and the situation with Mr. Bingley was sure to provide plenty of it.

She also pored over the letter during her solitary walks. Had the author met Mr. Bingley? It seemed unlikely, but she couldn't help worrying that the young man would prove as flighty as the letter portrayed him. He would undoubtedly be attracted to Jane as she was the loveliest young woman in the area. Whether Jane would reciprocate his interest was an entirely different matter—her sister desired to marry for the advantage of the family, but she would not marry someone she could not esteem.

Elizabeth had no thought of marrying Mr. Bingley; she would marry for love or not at all. And, as of yet, she had never met anyone she could respect enough to love. She wanted someone with the debate skills of her father, but the conscientiousness of her uncle. Nor did she desire a man who would either refuse to listen to her opinions—or rather refuse to engage with her opinions; her father listened to her mother's thoughts, all while making it clear that they were barely worth speaking aloud—or who would take her opinions as gospel, the way that Mrs. Lucas did with Sir William's. She had a mind of her own and, if she were to marry, she would have someone who appreciated that.

Fortunately, she had much with which to keep herself busy. Winter was approaching, and a few of their tenants would need assistance in order to get through it without much hardship. In addition, there were several wild herbs she needed to collect and dry before winter set in.

Michaelmas came and went. Mr. Bingley had taken possession of Netherfield, and the whole neighbourhood was aflutter. Elizabeth's mother steadfastly entreated her father to go and see Mr. Bingley so that their daughters might be introduced as early as possible while her father just as steadfastly assured her mother that he would not go—not for only one gentleman.

Some days after Mr. Bingley's arrival, they were all sitting in the drawing-room after dinner when her father entered. This was somewhat unusual, as it was his wont to ensconce himself in his study after dinner.

Fashion journals littered the settee and table near Mrs. Bennet and Lydia. Kitty sat next to Lydia, trying to interject comments even as Lydia talked over her. Mrs. Bennet had determined that at least Jane and Lydia needed new dresses in order to attach their newest neighbour and that it would be disgraceful if all of her daughters did not purchase new bonnets.

Elizabeth, knowing their finances were always strained, had convinced her mother to let her refurbish an old bonnet instead. Kitty was attempting to convince her mother that she too needed a new dress, and Mary was interjecting as she could to deliver a homily on the dangers of fashion. Jane worked quietly on her embroidery, only occasionally suggesting less expensive options for the dress her mother was determined she should have.