Part 4

As far as why the story doesn't have more drastic changes—well, that's not really my style. I believe that changes in our outward actions grow out of changes in our beliefs and thought patterns, so any lasting change has to start with character growth. My stories tend to focus on that character growth so they're not a mile-a-minute type stories. And, I personally really need regular reminders that little actions can add up to big results, that we reap what we sow, even if it takes a bloody long time to get there.

I do really appreciate y'all's critiques (and encouragement) though! I will try to edit out canon bits that don't add to the story—although given my schedule as of late, that may end up waiting until after I'm done writing.

Thanks to my betas, Sara and Dawn! Without their encouragement and accountability this past year, I'm not sure I would have written much at all.

Oh, and somehow part 3 never got off of "draft"--not quite sure how that happened, so if anyone is reading this on wattpad, I apologize it was a week late.

Copyright 2020 Elizabeth Frerichs

*****

Darcy, Bingley, and Mr. Hurst bowed to Sir William and Lady Lucas as the two Bingley sisters curtseyed. Darcy quickly slipped away from the voluble man; he had no desire to engage in mindless chatter. He meandered through the guests, apparently aimless as he began searching for Miss Elizabeth Bennet. Something about her teased at his mind, causing his eyes to follow her again and again, despite the many reasons it was dangerous to show even a hint of attention in her direction.

At their first encounter after the assembly, he had overheard her gently encouraging a young woman who appeared to share Georgiana's nervousness with crowds. He found himself strangely drawn to her in that moment and, attempting to prove to himself that she must have other traits which would snuff out the sudden whim of interest, he had studied her. But no sooner had he confirmed his first opinion (that she had hardly a good feature and could not hold a candle to the beauties of the ton), than he discovered the beautiful expression of her dark eyes lit up her entire face. To this discovery succeeded others equally mortifying and before long, he could not recall why he had thought her unhandsome at all.

Beyond her physical appearance, the easy playfulness of her manners, despite not matching those of the fashionable world, only added to her appeal. Darcy had considered how best to discover if her manners were merely put on or indicative of her true character and, after some thought, had determined to listen to her conversations with others. Fortunately, Miss Lucas had provided a most useful conversation partner: Miss Elizabeth spoke to her close friend frequently and with rather more frankness than he had been accustomed to hear among the ton. Each encounter merely increased his fascination.

A glimpse of dark curls immediately drew his attention. Miss Elizabeth was across the room, standing with an unfamiliar young woman. Making his way along the outskirts of the crowd, he finally drew close enough to hear them.

The young woman's face showed distinct sadness under a pasted-on smile. "Everyone has been so busy with the new neighbours," she said. "It is to be expected that I am forgot in the excitement. And, after all, I arrived only a week ago."

Elizabeth placed a hand on the young woman's arm. "I am certain news of your visit has not yet reached everyone; I myself was unaware until I saw you here. Let us find Jane. She would be most put out with me if I failed to apprise her of your presence."

Darcy scowled. This was no help. Miss Elizabeth continued to show kindness—something that was sorely lacking in most ladies of the ton. But perhaps she was only kind among company?

He began drifting through the crowd to where Miss Elizabeth stood with her sister Jane and the young woman. Miss Lucas was also moving towards the little group. Before he reached them, Miss Elizabeth excused herself, and she and Miss Lucas walked over to Colonel Forster. Shifting direction, he moved towards the wall nearest them.