Part 5

This week's chapter is a bit shorter as I cut Darcy's POV at the beginning here.

Thanks to my betas, Sara and Dawn! This story would not happen without them.

Please let me know if you notice any errors. I do my best to catch things, but sometimes they still slip through.

Regency experts: if Mr. Bennet is out of town, can Mrs. Bennet still have Mr. Bingley over for a family dinner or does she have to wait for him to return/invite someone else like the Philips?

Copyright 2020 Elizabeth Frerichs

*****

Sitting in Jane's bedroom, watching her sister slip into Morpheus's arms, Elizabeth attempted to puzzle out the characters of the people still finishing their dinner in the room she had just vacated. When she had gone down for dinner, Mr. Bingley, Miss Bingley, and Mrs. Hurst had all inquired as to Jane's health. Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst, upon hearing that she was no better, appeared to forget all about Jane and began to talk of other things in a most unconcerned manner.

Mr. Bingley appeared genuinely distressed, and Elizabeth wondered if he was unused to colds or if he had lost someone close to him in such a manner. Or perhaps he was genuinely attached to Jane. For the first time, she felt a stab of distress at the idea that their family's wretched behaviour might deter a worthwhile suitor for Jane. Her sister should not have to forfeit all opportunities to marry simply because their family was so out of control.

Indeed, watching her sisters and parents through the letter-writer's eyes had become an exercise in frustration. She had been aware that her parents and sisters (save Jane) lacked proper manners but, due to their constant presence, she had become accustomed to their lack of decorum. Now, however, said poor behavior blazed upon her with all the force of newness.

It was not in her nature to repine over things outside of her control, however, and so she released her frustrations and reminded herself that Mr. Bingley was not a suitor worth retaining if he had not the backbone to withstand his family and friends' disapproval.

Once certain Jane was deeply asleep, good manners prompted her to return to the company, despite the late hour and her wishes to the contrary. On entering the drawing-room, she found the whole party at loo. Though Mr. Bingley invited her to join them, she declined in favor of a good book; she had no desire to lose more money than she possessed.

"Do you prefer reading to cards?" Mr. Hurst asked incredulously. "That is rather singular."

"Miss Eliza Bennet despises cards," Miss Bingley sniped. "She is a great reader and has no pleasure in anything else."

Elizabeth suppressed an eye roll at Miss Bingley's blatant attack. "I desire neither such praise nor such censure; I am not a great reader, and I have pleasure in many things."

Mr. Bingley smiled kindly at her. "In nursing your sister I am sure you have pleasure, and I hope it will soon be increased by seeing her quite well."

"Thank you. I hope so too," Elizabeth said, studying him. Mr. Bingley had neatly turned the conversation, but, from what she had seen, he made no effort to check his sister—not even a hint of disapproval did he mete out, despite Miss Bingley's unprovoked attack. Perhaps he would speak to her later; although, given Miss Bingley's apparent standard of behaviour, it did not seem likely. She suppressed a shudder, thinking of Jane trapped in marriage to this family. Though the Bingleys certainly possessed wealth, and Mr. Bingley was all things amiable, his lack of fortitude and his sisters' wretched behaviour would make Jane miserable.