Chapter 19: Flavor

On the ride to the other side of campus, Zeke is chatting to me but I am barely listening. My thoughts are rewinding over Sebastien's domineering reaction about me coming along with Zeke. He has a habit of being overbearing and single-minded when it comes to what he thinks is guarding my feelings. I believe it is because he perceives me as his little sister which just makes me overwhelmingly irritated that he only sees me in that way. I can understand he is just looking out for me, but I am twenty years old, can make my own decisions, and not just a little sister.

Absorbed in my thoughts, I don't notice us pulling up to the house until I see the ginormous three-floor manor peeking overhead our windshield. It has a stark white exterior with greek symbols embedded on its balcony and four prominent columns displayed with various couples scattered around them. Zeke directs me through the doors, aiming us straight for the sidebar.

Inside is just as massive and extravagant, giving the impression as though we are in a luxurious country club. There is a foyer chandelier and a floating grand staircase sweeping the first floor. Mesmerized, I look around while Zeke hands me a cup and I politely nod but don't even bother to drink it. He focuses the conversation on me effortlessly flirting, complimenting me on both my dress and hair.

"Thank you," I mutter and subconsciously twist my bangles around and around on my wrist. I try to steer the talking more towards him and ask about his classes, but he instantly transforms into being vague and disinterested. Based on his responses, I am curious to know if he even goes here for school.

"Would you like to dance?" He swiftly asks me.

"Oh no, thank you. My shoes are killing my feet," I reply, attempting to turn him down as nicely as possible. There's no point in encouraging him when I can't even hold a conversation with him. Perfectly timed, a random blonde-headed guy pops up telling him something privately and Zeke informs me he will be right back.

I feel myself finally relax, my shoulders loosening. I take in my surroundings and spot Jamie near the entrance looking amazing in her metallic sultry dress circled by a mix of people with Jeremy on her arm. They surprisingly look well together and she seems to be all smiles. I look around the room once more and see a little backdrop next to a grand piano for pictures. I spy Ray and Becky close by to it and walk towards them glad to see more people I know. They find me too and meet me halfway gushing over how gorgeous we all appear tonight.

"Você está absolutamente deslumbrante," Ray tells me in Portuguese smiling radiantly, expressing how stunning I look. I blush and inform them they look incredible as well. Ray is wearing a sleek silver dress that highlights her honey-white sun-tanned skin while Becky has a body-con floral dress on that accentuates her soft and graceful features. They ask me to take a picture with them and we all pose as someone snaps a picture from Becky's phone.

"You didn't wait for us?" I hear Lukas teasing voice coming out from around the corner. He smiles as we turn around. He is sporting a blue suit, his tousled hair neatly groomed making him look clean-cut and sharp. Jess is on his side looking stunning in an off-the-shoulder black dress, her hair flowing in soft waves. I notice Jared isn't around, which I'm glad for because that would have been inconsiderate of him to still show up without Jamie.

"You both look incredible!" Becky exclaims.

"Yeah, I have to say we are an attractive friend group," Lukas says winking back at Becky. "But, I got to give Jared some credit for my good looks since this is one his suits," he jokes.

Jess comes to my side. "Lukas, can you take a picture of us two?"

"Sure," he takes her phone as she poses and I smile up at the camera for a couple of shots. My eyes go out of focus from all the flashes but Jess squeals in excitement and passionately shows me her phone as she scrolls through the photos trying to sort out her favorites.