Chapter 22: Mini Castle

I call up Becky and ask her how she feels about coming to live with me and she's completely ecstatic in response. Since it is a university dorm she can get financial aid to help her out with payments and use part of her scholarship. We plan to have her move shortly after Jamie leaves. When Monday morning rolls around, we invite Luka to come over and help Jamie pack up the last of her belongings.

Jamie swivels to me as soon as Lukas is downstairs putting more of her boxes in the truck. "Lukas seems exactly like you and could be your type. Are you into him?" She mutters and shoots me a shameless look.

Unfazed I say, "I don't think things are that way between us. I find him cute, but I'm positive we are just friends."

"Hmph. Too bad. So, are you into anybody right now?"

I ponder any recent simple crushes I could tell her, but I can't come up with one since the summer. "Not really, no."

"Damn girl," she huffs. "We are in a college with forty-thousand guys, we need to find you one."

"You make it sound a lot easier than it is," I say shoving her sweaters into too small of a box.

"Nah, you just haven't been opening up your eyes," she replies. "Oh, that reminds me. Jeremy asked me out, like on a date."

I turn to her giving her my full attention. "No way, you said yes right?"

"I did, but I don't if he's my kind of guy. He's very nice and cute."

I look at her like she's crazy, "And um, how again is that not your type?"

"Well, wouldn't it be boring?" She asks me plainly as she absentmindedly examines a piece of her dirty blonde hair.

"Jamie, I don't think boring is in your vocabulary. You more than make up of for us dull people. Give him a chance he might surprise you."

She glances at me before shrugging in consideration and picks up another box. I follow her with her lamp and we finish loading up the rental truck. After the last box, we both start to feel nostalgic and she takes a selfie of us putting a sad emoji to post on her story. Once we close the trunk, she hops in the driver seat and we go over to her new house with Luka.

***

"I got to admit I now understand why you're leaving me," I say while setting down a box blinking in amazement. Her house is astonishing. The inside looks like a mixture of a bed and breakfast and a castle. There's a conference-sized study room, twelve bathrooms, and a full-time cooking and cleaning staff. I am stoked for her and secretly glad that I can totally come to visit and take advantage. We bring up her stuff to her new room and she begins unpacking. We thank Lukas as he leaves but I stay awhile exploring some more.

"This place has marbled bathrooms!" I exclaim after checking them out looking back in to find Jamie's head inside a box.

She shoots up. "I know! I am literally going to love living here. Did I mention the cleaning crew takes out my garbage," she says and I dissolve into laughter. As I am about to leave, she gives me a to-go cappuccino from their machine and I reluctantly go back to my very simple dorm.

***

Tuesday
Becky arrives with Ray ready to unload all of her belongings. It amounts to not as nearly much as Jamie's stuff and the room's four walls feel somewhat bigger. When she's done, Ray leaves her with a kiss and I try to mentally adjust to the new living arrangements. I sit on my lavender comforter noting the significant difference in Jamie's absence.

"Want a sticky rice cake?" Becky asks me pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Sure!" I say, taking a bite as she explains they are homemade. She asks me if it is cool if she starts doing some homework and I nod and we both start peacefully reading and writing. I manage to get a lot more done than usual unused to the quiet. Later in the night, she heads off to Rays for an hour or two and I get a call from Bash in the meantime.

"Hey Bash, what's up?" I say while trying to keep the phone in between my shoulders as I flip a page on a book I started.

"My dad just called, he needs money," he responds his voice thick. I slam my book shut and grab the phone.

"What happened?" I say growing more nervous by the minute.

"He spent all his money on alcohol and now can't afford his lithium. If he got another job and got insurance, the prices wouldn't be so steep." I want to hug him through the phone.

"Where are you?" I ask trying to decipher what the background noise is.

"I am already on my way. I just wanted to talk to you about it. My brother, as you know, hates my dad and I didn't want to tell my mom, because their relationship is already so tense."

"Oh no, Bash." I run my fingers through my hair horrified. "I am sorry. I would have come with you. Do you have enough cash on you?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I'm sorry to throw this on you. I am actually about to pull up now."

"Okay, good bye Bash. Good luck. Text me when you're on your way back."

He hangs up and my anxiety rises. I hate that Bash has to worry about his father like this. I know it is not easy for his dad, especially because he is on his own dealing with alcoholism and an illness, but it is terrible for Bash as well. I wish I could help him out someway. Everything I think of just seems not even close to being even remotely helpful. I wait up for his text about an hour and a half later, informing me everything is fine and that he is heading back. I reply back and I toss and turn, taking a long time before I fall asleep.

***
*Author's Note*
Thank you so much for continuing to read this story!!! Comment, vote, I love to hear from you :) 💕