Chapter 49: Boy Toy

New Year's Eve

Immediately following the night of the foam party, my life went dry as dust. For the holidays, Sheila packed Sebastien to his grandparents, Becky went to Ray's, Luka joined Jared to their hometown, and Jamie and Jess also shipped off to their relatives. Naturally, I rebounded to my house for a week's worth of takeout food. As soon as Jamie materialized later in the week, I immediately jumped on the first invitation she offered. That foolishness got me suckered into decorating her sorority house.

Five hours later, the house rooms are adorned with assorted beads, feathers, purples, and golds for their grand New Year's Eve party. Jamie coerced me into matching the theme by wearing a white lace mask on my eyes. The party finally started to commence with groups of college students buzzing through and Jamie's sparkly heels suddenly click against the floor to me.

"I'm done finally!" She announces cheerily. "I can now indulge myself. You're going to stay right?" She questions me looking me over. "You even got yourself all cuted up, so you have to!"

"Yeah I am," I say smiling twisting a piece of hair behind my silver hoop earrings. I am wearing a navy square-neck ruched dress underneath a sleek, moto jacket. "Everything looks great James," I add.

She grabs my arm in astonishment. "Oh my gosh!" Her jade eyes widen and she lowers her golden mask by the stick-end. "Jeremy is here."

"What!" I shriek. I spin to look towards the door, but she snatches the sleeve of my jacket.

"Don't look!"

I freeze at her command. "Why is he here?" I whisper back even though he wouldn't be able to hear him from across the room.

"Because I invited him," she states simply.

I tilt my head staring at her absurdly. "I'm really confused."

"So, I decided I am going to ask him out for another try. If he says no, well then I'll move on and that'll be that."

"Aw! Good for you James," I answer proudly.

A pledge sweeps by holding a tray of champagne and I take the moment to quickly sneak a peek over my shoulder. I spot Jeremy gravitating towards us and I bite the inside of my cheek in anticipation. I snap back around to Jamie who is now holding two stolen glasses. She passes a fizzy drink to me before tilting her head back swinging her whole glass down in one gulp. I blink at her stunned.

She places the flute aside and tosses her curls past her shoulders. "Okay, I'm ready," she declares.

I smirk at her shaking my head. "Go get your man," I tell her.

She pulls her mask back up winking. "Oh, I intend to."

I amusedly watch her march off and take a sip of my bubbly wine.

Sebastien is the only other person who promised he would come tonight so I am eagerly waiting for his arrival. I continue to peruse around the party making sure all the decorations are still in place. A leather jacket catches the corner of my eye and I recognize Sebastien under a gray mask and dark jeans. His eyes are also hunting the crowd until they swoop onto me. His mouth twitches at the corners and I offer a wave as he crosses the room.

I readjust the ends of the lace around my eyes as he approaches. "Hey Bash, how are you?" I ask as he leans against the counter across from me.

"Pretty good. You look nice tonight," he adds casually.

"Thank you. Um. Oh! How's grandpa Joe?" I ask my cheeks warming.

"Eccentric like usual. He mooned us when we walked through the door." My pupils widen. "He's one crazy old man. I wish he lived closer." His eyes roam to beyond me. "Are those beignets?" His silvery voice says intrigued.