11.

1 1 | c o l l a r o y

I SAT IN THE CAR, tapping my foot as I glared out the window. The sky had already lightened, the sun rising over the horizon and slanting over us in warm, golden light.

"Isla," Austin muttered from the driver's seat. "You're going to be late."

"He'll be here," I said quietly, my eyes still focused on the empty spot in front of Clemente House.

Where was he?

I glanced at the clock. It was already ten to six. He was late. And if we waited any longer, I'd be late.

"Isla," Austin said gently. I turned, meeting his eyes and he sent me a pointed look. I sighed.

"Give me one second," I said. Before he could answer, I pushed the passenger door open, jogging towards the front door.

I shoved it open, the air conditioner instantly cooling my exposed skin and causing hairs to rise on the back of my neck. A few people were bustling around the bed and breakfast, reading the morning news or sipping coffee. I spotted Mrs Clemente immediately.

"Isla!" she smiled as I approached her.

"Hi, Mrs Clemente," I greeted, glancing around the room for any sign of Everett. "I was just wondering... Is Everett coming today?"

"Oh!" Mrs Clemente blinked in surprise. "I thought he told you. He's catching up on schoolwork today."

"Schoolwork?" I furrowed my brow. We were barely a week into January. It was summer. What kind of schoolwork did he have?

"Yes, his winter break is over now. He's been doing online school."

I blinked. I'd forgotten the school year worked differently in America.

"Oh," I managed. "Okay. Well..."

"I'm sure he'll come tomorrow."

"Okay," I repeated, stupidly. Why hadn't he told me? We didn't speak the entire way home yesterday – was he angry at me? For asking about him coming to Australia?

I thanked Mrs Clemente; my mind busy with questions as I made my way back to Austin's car. He sent me a worried look as I slammed the passenger door shut.

"What happened?"

"He's not coming," I said finally.

"Why?"

I shrugged dazedly, still overthinking it. "Schoolwork, or something."

But it still sounded wrong to me. Why hadn't he told me about it? He must've still been upset. He must've been lying.

"Man, that sucks," Austin laughed. When I didn't join in, he shot me a look. "Isla, you okay?"

Golden brown eyes settled on me and I blinked, snapping out of my thoughts. "What?"

"I asked if you're okay."

"Oh." I felt my face warm and I nodded quickly, struggling to speak under his stare. "Yeah."

"Alright." He relented, starting the engine and beginning to drive again. He sent me a glance, his eyes darting from the road to me, before hesitating, his fingers tapping anxiously against the steering wheel. "Isla?"

I quirked a brow at him. "Austin."

But there was no joking in his expression. Instead, he chewed on his bottom lip, his eyes dark.

"Can I ask you something?"

I furrowed my brow. That was a strange question for Austin to ask. Why was he so nervous all of a sudden? I blinked, my heart beginning to race with all the possible questions he could ask me.