16.

1 6 | f a i r y  b o w e r

"HURRY UP!" I shouted out the side of the window the next morning.

Everett was leaning over the porch railing, his eyes narrowed at me and Austin sitting in his red Jeep. He blinked slowly, not making an effort to move.

I rolled my eyes. "Everett, get in!"

He frowned for a moment, his glare lingering on Austin, before sighing and stepping off the porch of Clemente House, making his way to the backseat. Austin hummed along to the radio, acting nonchalant about it all, but I knew by the tapping of his fingers against his steering wheel that he was getting impatient too.

Everett slammed the car door shut and Austin immediately stepped on the gas, lurching the car forward. Everett staggered, catching himself before he flew through the windshield of the car.

"Dude, wait, I haven't got my seatbelt on," he said, shooting a glare at him through the rear-view mirror.

Austin sent him a half shrug. "Sorry."

He didn't look sorry.

"We're going to Isla today," I said, sensing the tension and quickly changing the topic. I sent Everett a smile. "We're bringing our boogie boards out to play in the lagoon."

"Oh," Everett said, quirking a brow. "You don't have work today?"

"It's only a four-hour shift," I shrugged. "I'll be done at ten, then we can leave."

"Right," he teased, smirking. "Can't go a day without working, can you?"

"Hey, I need to replace that creaky bike, don't I?"

"I don't know how you've survived this long with it," he said.

"She's had it since she was nine," Austin cut in, glancing at me. "Her dad got it for her."

The car fell silent. A face flashed in my mind – brown skin like mine, curly hair. A soft smile. Warm eyes filled with all the kindness in the world. I shook my head, forcing it out.

"I've had it for seven years too long," I joked uneasily. I patted the passenger door. "Maybe I should get one of these instead. Then you wouldn't have to drive me around."

Austin shot me a look. "I like driving you around."

Instantly my face warmed. I turned away, blushing. "You're definitely cheaper than an Uber."

He laughed and I felt myself glow at his reaction.

"Isla, are you using me for my car?" he joked.

I raised a brow at him. "Yes. That's why I befriended you all those years ago. For your car."

He chuckled warmly, reaching over to affectionately ruffle my hair, and a smile split across my face.

A second later, we arrived at the beach. The car rumbled to a stop in one of the empty streets beside it – one with free parking, if you came early enough. And since I had 6 AM shifts, we were always early enough.

I hopped out of the car, tugging my bag over my shoulder to see Austin pulling my board out of the backseat and passing it to me. I blinked, momentarily confused.

"I'll just take it when we meet later," I said, handing it back.

He shook his head, refusing. "I'm not coming later."

I paused, my fingers tightening around the board. "What?"

He shrugged. "Mia wants to learn how to surf, so I'm going to meet her."